Jewish Voices in Christmas Carols
REG
2003-12-28 03:43:38 UTC
Let's see if this group has the maturity to handle this one. I can't think,
with one exception, of a Jewish singer in America whom I'd associate with
any Christmas carols. That one exception is Roberta Peters, who did a couple
of the Christmas albums put out by Firestone. The only other exception I can
think of, and it's a very wide exception, is Sills, who accompanied some
City Opera singers to the White House during the Reagan Administration.
Apparently, or so Beverly told it, one of the Reagan's really wanted her to
sing "something", although she'd already been fully retired from singing for
some period, and so I recall her gamely doing the first strophe or two of
"Jingle Bells" with the four singers she had brought along. It's not a
Christmas carol, not a word about the holiday, but it's at least seasonal
and on lots of Christmas collections. For the record, I love Christmas
Carols.

Those are the only two instances I can think of. I wouldn't expect Christian
singers to be associated with "Jewish" holiday music, although Perry Como,
as a prominent exception, was, but I wondered if there were other exceptions
anyone could think of, either in the modern era or in earlier recordings.
Mitchell Kaufman
2003-12-28 03:51:03 UTC
Post by REG
Let's see if this group has the maturity to handle this one. I can't think,
with one exception, of a Jewish singer in America whom I'd associate with
any Christmas carols.
Eddie Fisher recorded a Christmas 10-incher for RCA. Streisand did an
entire LP.

If I think of more, I'll post them.

MK
Mitchell Kaufman
2003-12-28 03:53:56 UTC
Post by Mitchell Kaufman
Post by REG
Let's see if this group has the maturity to handle this one. I can't think,
with one exception, of a Jewish singer in America whom I'd associate with
any Christmas carols.
Eddie Fisher recorded a Christmas 10-incher for RCA. Streisand did an
entire LP.
If I think of more, I'll post them.
Oh, yeah: Neil Diamond.

MK
REG
MK
Alcindoro
2003-12-28 05:17:25 UTC
I'd not realized either of those, and they "count", but I guess I was focusing
more on "classical" singers, although I'd still be curious about popular
singers.<

Steve and Eydie recorded at least one Xmas album. I used to always bits of it
on the radio some years ago ...
David Melnick
2003-12-28 05:08:41 UTC
Post by REG
[...]
Mike R. has an Eisenhower-era document on his site:

http://operas-are.us/sills/sills.htm
REG
2003-12-28 05:50:22 UTC
David - what a fascinating document. Many thanks. Not only does it kind of
expand the still limited range of classical singers who are Jewish singing
carols, but it's a remarkable souvenir of Sills at a very early date for
her, and although I've heard some pirate excerpts which I assume are roughly
of the same provenance (ie excerpts from her Aida), this is the earliest
commercially recorded material I am aware of. I guess it predates the Baby
Doe by about 5 years or so, and I think she did the soprano part in a Mahler
symphony from some equally early date, but this is fascinating in its own
right. The voice isn't nearly as well knit-together as it would be even five
years later, and the breath line, at least on the evidence of these
recordings, isn't remarkable (as it would be in Doe and thereaftere). Also,
while her enunciation was, I thought, entirely remarkable from her earliest
recordings, it's not so clear here. I wonder what happened generally.
Parterrebox
2003-12-28 06:18:39 UTC
How many opera singers in general, I mean Christian-type opera singers, do you
"associate" with Christmas music?

Part of the question here is that in the post-Pavarotti era (say, since 1970)
there have not been all that many superstar Jewish opera singers, I mean,
singers with a big recording company behind them. Part of that may be a
falling-off of American superstar-quality talent in recent years; after all,
most Jewish singers originate in America.

I can also imagine that at least some Jewish singers would be uncomfortable
performing Christmas music; it's not their holiday, after all.
Alcindoro
2003-12-28 06:48:45 UTC
but it's a remarkable souvenir of Sills at a very early date for het... etc<
Is this at all comparable to her Rins-O White commercial?
REG
2003-12-28 13:27:31 UTC
Unfortunately, it is, a bit.
Leonard Tillman
2003-12-28 09:03:40 UTC
Post by David Melnick
Mike R. has an Eisenhower-era document on
http://operas-are.us/sills/sills.htm
Thank you, David, for posting this - and thanks to Mike for featuring
it at his site.

Wonderful renditions by Beverly Sills, - most especially of my favorite
of these, "Cantique de Noel" ("O Holy Night").

Best,
LT
Mike Richter
2003-12-28 23:26:25 UTC
Post by Leonard Tillman
Post by David Melnick
http://operas-are.us/sills/sills.htm
Thank you, David, for posting this - and thanks to Mike for featuring
it at his site.
Wonderful renditions by Beverly Sills, - most especially of my
favorite of these, "Cantique de Noel" ("O Holy Night").
You're welcome, but it's a shame David didn't give you the link to the
home page for that site: http://www.operas-are.us/

There are some other versions of "O Holy Night" there under different
names, in different languages, but several may be of interest.

Mike
--
***@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/
David Melnick
2003-12-28 05:29:09 UTC
Post by REG
Sills, who accompanied some
City Opera singers to the White House during the Reagan Administration.
Apparently, or so Beverly told it, one of the Reagan's really wanted her to
sing "something", although she'd already been fully retired from singing for
some period, and so I recall her gamely doing the first strophe or two of
"Jingle Bells" with the four singers she had brought along.
REG: Was this on TV? And might Ashley Putnam have
been one of the NYCO singers?

Dv
Oisk17
2003-12-28 05:46:28 UTC
Was Mel Torme Jewish? He not only sang "The Christmas Song," I believe he
wrote it.

Paul
Mitchell Kaufman
2003-12-28 06:18:06 UTC
Post by Oisk17
Was Mel Torme Jewish? He not only sang "The Christmas Song," I believe he
wrote it.
Hey, Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas!" ;-)

MK
Mark D Lew
2003-12-28 09:35:28 UTC
Post by Mitchell Kaufman
Post by Oisk17
Was Mel Torme Jewish? He not only sang "The Christmas Song," I believe he
wrote it.
Hey, Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas!" ;-)
Does Mendelssohn count?

mdl
Christopher Green
2003-12-30 02:14:53 UTC
Post by Mark D Lew
Post by Mitchell Kaufman
Post by Oisk17
Was Mel Torme Jewish? He not only sang "The Christmas Song," I believe he
wrote it.
Hey, Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas!" ;-)
Does Mendelssohn count?
mdl
Not exactly: he lived most of his life as a rather strongly committed Christian.
Chris Green
REG
Dv
Ronsdivas
2003-12-28 13:15:01 UTC
Post by REG
Yes, this was on TV. And maybe it was Putnam - I remember two female and two
male singers, certainy one of the men was a baritone, I keep thinking Relya,
but it can't be.
It was Ashley Putnam/Gianna Rolandi/Gale Gilmore/Barry McCauley/..and I think
Stephen Dickson.
AT
2003-12-28 18:12:17 UTC
wrong.

i am catholic and i just bought for christmas the cd '''cantors'' as
viewed on pbs.

i think it is a most wonderful concert. i also have a cd by jan peerce
of jewish music that i play a lot.

i think ggod music is good music. and when it is of a religious
nature, the better.

it is the same god. in my believe.

regards.
@

"REG" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I wouldn't expect Christian
AT

F R
2003-12-28 19:42:29 UTC
i always thought edie gorme' was italian. neil diamond does maybe the
worst renditions of christmas songs i have heard recently.
frank
Parterrebox
2003-12-28 20:33:19 UTC
Spanish Sephardic and Turkish.
Leonard Tillman
2003-12-28 20:54:36 UTC
Post by F R
i always thought edie gorme' was italian. neil
diamond does maybe the worst renditions of
christmas songs i have heard recently. frank
Gorme and her husband, Steve Lawrence, are both Jewish: She's
Sephardic, and he's Ashkenazic.

LT
MuckTheDuck
2003-12-28 22:19:01 UTC
No Mandy doesn't compare to the voices of Torme and Sinatra but he
certainly covers some great material of which neither of them could
cover in Yiddish song. Perhaps the only one out there that compares to
Sinatra and Torme is Tony Bennett who is still going strong. As for
woman singers doing this material, Diana Krall is at the top of her
craft.

I mentioned Mandy doesn't have the greatest voice but he brings me
pleasure to the cd's I own and that's all that counts.
Many people will argue so and so is brilliant or so and so is awful but
in my book, so and so has to please me. It doesn't matter that someone I
listen to isn't seen that way by others because in the end, I am the one
purchasing their music and attending their performances.

Mandy is a great artist in covering the Sondheim book and his most
recent cd from last year is something I need to pick up which consists
of two cds devoted to Stephen. I love his prior project called "Kidults"
in which he covered children's songs or songs that children are familiar
with. I especially love the music from Hans Christian Anderson that he
covered from Frank Loesser. That is one of my favorite films and I have
Danny Kaye's LP and also purchased the cd as well. This is another
masterpiece that Sinatra nor Torme would cover and the risks and chances
that Mandy Patinkin takes is worth the rewards in what comes back to the
listener.

Jonathan Schwartz is responsible for my awareness of Mandy's music. For
those of you outside the New York area, Jonathan is the son of composer
Arthur Schwartz who wrote some great American classics for film with
Howard Dietz. "Dancing In The Dark" is one of many wonderful songs
written by Arthur. His son Jonathan can be heard weekends on WNYC FM in
New York as well as on the internet on Saturday's on www.wnyc.org -- I
regret I cannot listen to his entire show now that opera season is on
the radio again. He is heard from 12pm - 4pm on Saturday's and Sunday's
but only on the internet on Saturday's. On Sunday's he is heard on both
the radio and XM Satellite radio.

If you like the great American Songbook, check his show out on the radio
in NYC, the internet on Saturday's or XM Satellite Radio on Sunday's.
Jonathan plays most of the artists discussed in this thread and then
some! It's a delicious mix of some great singers and wonderful songs and
makes a nice appetizer before the opera begins on Saturday, usually at
1:30pm.
Drakejake
2003-12-28 22:54:43 UTC
Torme was a pretty good singer considering that he had no voice. Listen to
Bing Crosby records to hear a relaxed, well-produced, resonant, in-tune pop
voice.

JD
Parterrebox
2003-12-28 23:11:22 UTC

He's one of the best of the younger generation, yes.
MuckTheDuck
2003-12-28 23:29:04 UTC
***@aol.com (Drakejake) wrote:

Torme was a pretty good singer considering that he had no voice. Listen
to Bing Crosby records to hear a relaxed, well-produced, resonant,
in-tune pop voice.

My response:
I Love Crosby's music, especially the early recordings on Brunswick.

If you like Crosby, I have one for you that is right up there. RUSS
COLUMO!

Had Russ lived, he would have been Crosby's equal perhaps but then we'll
never know. His works are wonderful.

I am a big fan of crooners and there's some wonderful singers that have
emerged over the years.

My favorite artist of all time has been Nat King Cole because of that
rich, clear voice that sang beautifully. He can be understood on every
word he sang and he performed some great material.

Lately, I've been leaning more towards Sinatra but either one of them
will more than make my day. Unfortunately, Crosby has faded over the
years but Sinatra is still fresh and given plenty of attention. Case in
point --- the recent Radio City Music Hall Tribute to him with a live
orchestra on stage and film clips that were this year's version of the
Elvis tribute performed in the same fashion a few years back.

Crosby though for all purposes is perhaps the greatest and most popular
voice on recordings ever exposed to the world.

Sincerely,
William Brownstein
Drakejake
2003-12-29 00:47:03 UTC
Post by MuckTheDuck
My favorite artist of all time has been Nat King Cole because of that
rich, clear voice that sang beautifully. He can be understood on every
word he sang and he performed some great material.
I also like Nat Cole. As a child I saw a very striking movie about a boy whose
hair inexplicably turned green. Years later I realized that the musical theme
of the movie was "Nature Boy," preserved in a fine Cole recording. His
singing of Mona Lisa is also wonderful. The use of this music in the British
film of the same name starring Bob Hoskins is an excellent example of how
appropriate music can add to the emotional intensity of a motion picture.
Another movie which would have much less impact without the use of a song is
the masterpiece Brazil. The zither score in The Third Man makes an indelible
impression. But I digress.

JD

JD
F R
2003-12-29 02:46:28 UTC
nat king cole was/is in a league of his own. imo his version of
"stardust" is the single prettiest pop standard ever recorded. perfect
blend hoagy carmichael's lyrics, an impeccable arrangement and of
course cole's wonderful interpretation.
frank
MuckTheDuck
2003-12-29 03:13:42 UTC
***@webtv.net (F=A0R) wrote:

nat king cole was/is in a league of his own. imo his version of
"stardust" is the single prettiest pop standard ever recorded. perfect
blend hoagy carmichael's lyrics, an impeccable arrangement and of course
cole's wonderful interpretation.
frank

Frank

Nat's version of "Stardust" is not only the definitive version of that
song but one of my favorite songs ever recorded. Many singers have
recorded this Parish/Carmichael classic but Nat did it the best.

The other song that I really like by Nat is "Paradise" which was also
nicely done by Russ Columbo.

Nat was simply a national treasure and taken from us too soon. I
discovered him years later as I am only 40 and he passed away when I was
very young.

BTW ... I also like Bobby Darin a lot and have many of his LP's in my
collection that I acquired from used record stores.

Darin had a unique style of his own but Nat and Frank Sinatra as well as
Mel Torme are tops in my book.

Sincerely,
William Brownstein
REG
2003-12-29 04:15:12 UTC
Could it have been from envy?

And could that little boy be you?
JD
Premiereopera
2003-12-29 00:26:50 UTC
Subject: Re: Jewish Voices in Christmas Carols
Date: 12/28/03 5:54 PM Eastern Standard Time
Torme was a pretty good singer considering that he had no voice. Listen to
Bing Crosby records to hear a relaxed, well-produced, resonant, in-tune pop
voice.
JD
Honesty compels me to agree 100% with JD.

I always felt that Torme had no voice.

Ed
F R
2003-12-29 02:39:58 UTC
bobby darin made several albums of standards while in his late 20s and
early 30s. he used sinatra arrangements but had much more personality in
his voice imo. compare how they sing the same song-- two come to mind...
"softly as i leave you" a matt munro hit of the 60s and "the nightingale
sang in barkley square".
i am probably a minority of one, but i like darin better than sinatra
for that genre of music. check it out and see for yourself.
frank
Premiereopera
2003-12-29 03:27:37 UTC
Date: 12/28/03 9:39 PM Eastern
i am probably a minority of one, but i like darin better than sinatra
for that genre of music. check it out and see for yourself.
frank
I like Robert Merrill better than both of them put together.

Ed
dtritter
2003-12-29 12:37:18 UTC
Post by F R
bobby darin made several albums of standards while in his late 20s and
early 30s. he used sinatra arrangements but had much more personality in
his voice imo. compare how they sing the same song-- two come to mind...
"softly as i leave you" a matt munro hit of the 60s and "the nightingale
sang in barkley square".
i am probably a minority of one, but i like darin better than sinatra
for that genre of music. check it out and see for yourself.
frank
yes, bugt mr. cossuto [darin] was not jewish and neither of the songs
mentioned above has anything t do with christmas.

dft
F R
2003-12-29 20:30:38 UTC
dft wrote--
yes, bugt mr. cossuto [darin] was not jewish and neither of the songs
mentioned above has anything t do with christmas.
dft
-------------------------------------
this is true, but like many posts, other "related" info got discussed.
btw, for accuracy sake, darin's real last name is spelled Cassotto.
frank
a***@comcast.net
2003-12-28 23:07:07 UTC
Post by MuckTheDuck
that Mandy Patinkin takes is worth the rewards in what comes back to the
listener.
I preferred him as Inigo Montoya..

Pepin L'Epee
REG
2003-12-28 16:01:10 UTC
You misunderstood me - I wasn't being critical or judgmental of anything. I
was just interested in the relative frequency with which classical singers
in particular "crossed over" in terms of other religious music.
MuckTheDuck
2003-12-28 17:52:55 UTC
***@bellsouth.net (AT) wrote:

i am catholic and i just bought for christmas the cd '''cantors'' as
viewed on pbs.

i think it is a most wonderful concert. i also have a cd by jan peerce
of jewish music that i play a lot.

i think ggod music is good music. and when it is of a religious nature,
the better.

My response:
I loved the Cantor special on PBS not only because I'm Jewish but
because the voices were so wonderful and reminded me of opera. These
cantors do have the most amazing operatic voices.

I also saw the "Three Tenors" Christmas special the other night for the
first time and loved it but the English lyrics seemed out of place for
these tenors who I'm used to hearing perform their songs in Italian and
other languaes.

I also have the Jan Peerce cd you mentioned (Jan Peerce sings Hebrew
Melodies) and love the Richard Tucker Jewish holiday albums which are
now on cds. The two Tucker religious recordings are related to the High
Holidays and Passover. I especially love his Kol Nidrei recording.
Another version of Kol Nidrei that I think is wonderful is by Al Jolson.

I agree that good music is good music and as a Jew I have no problem
getting into the Christmas spirit with the wonderful music that I have
come to love over the years. To me, although Christmas isn't my holiday
religiously, it does resemble a holiday of peace and warmth that
translates into the American holiday it's recognized as well.

Finally one singer that I recently became a fan of is Mandy Patinkin.
His cd "Mamaloshen" is a must have if you enjoy Yiddish / Jewish music.
This recording has amazing versions of American classics sung in Yiddish
as well as Yiddish favorites such as Raisins and Almonds. My favorite is
the song that closes the cd, Oyfn Pripetshik (Children learn their
ABC's).

For those of you who haven't heard this collection, it's great!!!! Mandy
sings Supercaligragilisticexpiallidocious, The Hokey Pokey, Maria, Paul
Simon's - "American Tune", Take Me Out to the Ball Game and God Bless
America in Yiddish!!! WOW ...

A few years ago I got a nice surprise when I attended a free Workman's
Circle Concert at Damrosch Park (sp?) next to the Metropolitan Opera
House. Mandy Patinkin did a surprise walk-on and did a set of songs from
the new cd that was released at the time. I even had the pleasure of
catching him before he got into a taxi after the concert and got his
autograph.

Mandy Patinkin may not have the greatest voice but what he does with his
material, choices of songs and his presentation is certainly worth it
for me. He's one of my favorites and fills the void of Sinatra and
Torme, now that they're both gone.

Sincerely,
William Brownstein
a***@comcast.net
2003-12-28 20:01:52 UTC
Unfortunately, Mandy doesn't phrase like the JEWISH [SEPHARDIC] jazz
musician Torme was, nor the 'saloon singer' Sinatra was, he having been a
acolyte, finally, of the Mabel Mercer school of musical communication.
MP is not, by any strech of the imagination, a jazz singer.
Pepin le Boite Lizard
William Brownstein
A Tsar Is Born
2003-12-28 22:43:02 UTC
Post by REG
Those are the only two instances I can think of. I wouldn't expect Christian
singers to be associated with "Jewish" holiday music, although Perry Como,
as a prominent exception, was, but I wondered if there were other exceptions
anyone could think of, either in the modern era or in earlier recordings.
I avoid Xmas music (also Jewish holiday music).
But I remember rehearsals for Patience at the Barnard Gilbert & Sullivan
Society when I was a sophomore, during which, at one point, 11 of us started
down Broadway towards home. We caroled all the way. And one of the two
gentiles present (Ah, G&S! The true Talmudic lore!) said to the other,
"Isn't it funny it's the Jews who know all the verses?" (We did.)

Everyone I've ever known who sang as a choir singer in New York went from
churches to synagogues quite indiscriminately, sang plenty of everything --
neither churches nor synagogues had any prejudice in the matter, and the
money was good.

I recall Sherill Milnes once performing (in recital) some Jewish liturgical
music that had been composed for him to sing at one of the synagogues in
Chicago before he came east.

Hans Lick
Premiereopera
2003-12-29 00:29:05 UTC
On the Firestone Christmans LPs, such Jewish artists as Roberta Peters, Rise
Stevens, Robert Merrill, Jan Peerce, and Richard Tucker, are all featured
singing Christmas carols, and beautifully, too.

Mandy Potimkin I could definitely live without.

Ed
REG

Ed
Mark D Lew
2003-12-29 08:34:05 UTC
Post by A Tsar Is Born
Everyone I've ever known who sang as a choir singer in New York went from
churches to synagogues quite indiscriminately, sang plenty of everything --
neither churches nor synagogues had any prejudice in the matter, and the
money was good.
I used to sub at a Catholic church for midnight masses on Christmas
eve. Typically, three out of four were subs, because the regulars
would be celebrating Christmas with their families. Sometimes we would
jokingly call it the "Jews and atheists gig".

mdl
william kasimer
2003-12-29 02:42:51 UTC
Post by REG
Let's see if this group has the maturity to handle this one. I can't think,
with one exception, of a Jewish singer in America whom I'd associate with
any Christmas carols.
It's not easy to find, but there's a Robert Merrill Christmas CD.
It's on one of those budget labels that one finds at places like
Walmart. I'm not sure where the recordings originated (from those
Firestone LP's, maybe?), but as you might expect, the music is given
very extrovert, even bombastic treatment.
Post by REG
Those are the only two instances I can think of. I wouldn't expect Christian
singers to be associated with "Jewish" holiday music, although Perry Como,
as a prominent exception, was, but I wondered if there were other exceptions
anyone could think of, either in the modern era or in earlier
recordings.

Johnny Mathis made pretty decent recordings of both "Kol Nidre" and
"Eili, Eili".

Bill
--
==========================
William D. Kasimer
***@quincymc.org
Premiereopera
2003-12-29 03:26:06 UTC
Date: 12/28/03 9:42 PM Eastern Standard Time
Post by REG
any Christmas carols.
It's not easy to find, but there's a Robert Merrill Christmas CD.
It's on one of those budget labels that one finds at places like
Walmart. I'm not sure where the recordings originated (from those
Firestone LP's, maybe?), but as you might expect, the music is given
very extrovert, even bombastic treatment.
The Merrill Christmas CD was not from the Firestone LPs.

It was recorded in London in the mid to late 70's, as just that: a Christmas
LP. It was released on a few different labels- first on LP, and now on CD. It
is not readily available, and I'm sure it's out of print at this time.

I have it on LP and CD, and I agree that most of the arrangements are a bit
"bombastic." But- the Merrill voice is, as always, gorgeous, and the CD is
worth seeking out for fans of Merrill.

Ed
http://www.premiereopera.com for the best opera on CD, VIDEO, CD-ROM.
REG
William D. Kasimer
Karen Mercedes
2003-12-29 18:53:48 UTC
Robert Merrill recorded an album of carols and pop Christmas songs with
the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

There is also a lovely recording of Schubert's Ave Maria by Alma Gluck.
And more unusual still, one of Richard Tauber singing White Christmas
(appropriate, I suppose, for a Jewish tenor to sing a Christmas song
written by a Jewish composer). Another Jew, Danny Kaye, of course
co-starred in the movie WHITE CHRISTMAS. Kaye also recorded "All I want
for Christmas is my two front teeth" with the Andrews Sisters.

Does anyone know whether Sherrill Milnes is Jewish? If not, he would
definitely qualify as one of the more noteworthy goyim to record Jewish
cantorial music.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
________________________________
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein
daniel f. tritter
2003-12-29 19:25:36 UTC
Post by Karen Mercedes
[...]
not a chance. sherrill's favorite is that treacle of all evangelical
musical garbage, "amazing grace." even grace hates that crap.

dft
REG