opera singers in non-singing films
F R
2004-01-27 22:23:55 UTC
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
GRNDPADAVE
2004-01-27 22:48:39 UTC
Date: 01/27/2004 4:23 PM Central Standard Time
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salvatore Baccaloni had a supportiong role in "Fanny" -- a film starring Horts
Buchholtz and Charles Boyer.

Jan Peerce appeared as a wedding guest in "Goodbye Columbus."

But best of all, in terms of acting, was Jarmila Novotna in "The Search" a
film which brought Montgomery Clift to the attention of movie-goers.

==G/P Dave
Leonard Tillman
2004-01-27 23:38:07 UTC
Date: 01/27/2004 4:23 PM Central Standard
Time
v.net>
=A0=A0there were many singers who were in movies
that had no singing. i believe anna moffo,
after her nose job was in an italian film where
she even did a nude scene. which opera
singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music? frank
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salvatore Baccaloni had a supportiong role in
"Fanny" -- a film starring Horts
Buchholtz and Charles Boyer.
Jan Peerce appeared as a wedding guest in
"Goodbye Columbus."
But best of all, in terms of acting, was Jarmila
Novotna in "The Search" a film which brought
Montgomery Clift to the attention of
movie-goers.
=3D=3DG/P Dave
In "The Search", there was a brief moment in which she, as a housewife
in her apparently musical family's midst, sang either an art or folk
song with some piano-accompaniment -- immediately before their home was
invaded by the Nazis, their family and belongings taken from them.

A fine film, btw, with Novotna showing what a splendid actress she
was, as well. Great performances also from Ivan Jandl (as her son),
Clift, and Aline McMahon.

If we can include them, there have been Opera singers (at least as far
as having the training) who were not known widely for it, who've been in
straight-acting roles:

Basil Ruysdael

Fortunio Bonanova

Marc Lawrence

Joseph Calleia

Howard Keel (Simon Peter in "The Big Fisherman"; Clayton Farlow in
"Dallas", etc.)

Irene Dunn (more OperEttic, perhaps)

Nelson Eddy
(known to have sung Opera, but in "Phantom of the Opera" with Claude
Rains, NE's role was completely non-singing.)

George Sanders (magnificent basso-cantante voice, as could be guessed
when he spoke.)

Eddie Constantine

Rod Steiger (had operatic training for 4 years, in preparation for his
career. His sound seemed to reflect it.)

Leif Erickson

William Marshall (incredible and vibrant basso voice with great
presence, possibly comparable to Paul Robeson's.)

Mark Forest (Lou Degni), action-star of the late '50s.

Edward Platt ("Chief" on "Get Smart")

and possibly, character actor John Doucette.

I'm told there are many more, male and female, to be found among the
daytime tv-performers of the present era in particular.

Leonard Tillman
Leonard Tillman
2004-01-27 23:39:26 UTC
- And Paul Reed ("Captain Block" in "Car 54, where are you?")

Leonard Tillman
David Melnick
2004-01-28 01:08:36 UTC
Post by GRNDPADAVE
But best of all, in terms of acting, was Jarmila Novotna in "The Search" a
film which brought Montgomery Clift to the attention of movie-goers.
==G/P Dave
The one other movie I saw her in was The Last Waltz, in
which her singing played an important but quite small part.
Watching her in that film, I thought her personality
must have been similar to that of the character she
portrayed: lovely, modest and indifferent toward "status".

David
REG
2004-01-28 03:18:43 UTC
You've forgotten one of the greatest of them all...Ezio Pinza did several
movies, including something called "Mr Imperio" or some such title, I think
with Lana Turner. He was absolutely tremendous on the screen, complete and
effortless charisma and charm.
David
Mc
2004-01-28 05:15:03 UTC
What about Oliver Hardy. He had a beautiful singing voice. Anybody know if
he had formal training ?
Mc
==G/P Dave
the man who cried
2004-01-28 05:21:45 UTC
Baccaloni nearly stole the show from Judy Holliday in Full of Life.
AnMeinKlav
2004-01-28 00:10:21 UTC
<< i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?>>

Jose van Dam gave a fine performance in "The Music Teacher," in a mostly
non-singing role, though at one point he does sing a Schumann song from
Liederkreis in it.

BTW, to this day Moffo insists she was not nude in that shower scene from
"Storia d'Amore."
David Melnick
2004-01-28 00:56:31 UTC
Post by F R
<< i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?>>
Jose van Dam gave a fine performance in "The Music Teacher," in a mostly
non-singing role, though at one point he does sing a Schumann song from
Liederkreis in it.
And Cortigiani, beautifully placed at the beginning of the
film.
"Storia d'Amore."
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 01:11:47 UTC
Subject: Re: opera singers in non-singing films
Date: 1/27/04 7:10 PM Eastern Standard Time
<< i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?>>
Jose van Dam gave a fine performance in "The Music Teacher," in a mostly
non-singing role, though at one point he does sing a Schumann song from
Liederkreis in it.
But did he have a nose job first????

Ed
Trev(UK)
2004-01-29 17:32:06 UTC
Willard White appeared as a marvelous Othello in an TV production (based on
the RSC Stratford production I think) which I believe is available on video
if not dvd. Does that count ?
Trev(UK)
"Storia d'Amore."
J.Venning
2004-01-29 22:37:11 UTC
Post by Trev(UK)
Willard White appeared as a marvelous Othello in an TV production (based on
the RSC Stratford production I think) which I believe is available on video
if not dvd. Does that count ?
Trev(UK)
Here, in Denmark, the legendary baritone Ib Hansen did cameo roles in
several films, often making a parody of himself without singing, and of
course the late great Aage Haugland himself stared in a comic film.
J.
Jonathan Sydenham
J.
Trev(UK)
"Storia d'Amore."
J.Venning
2004-01-29 21:45:48 UTC
Post by AnMeinKlav
BTW, to this day Moffo insists she was not nude in that shower scene from
"Storia d'Amore."
She was too! I saw it twice in London in 1972 - the English title of the
film was "Love Me Baby, Love Me".
J.
Alcindoro
2004-01-30 00:53:37 UTC
J.Venning
2004-01-30 06:55:02 UTC
Post by Alcindoro
the English title of the film was "Love Me Baby, Love Me".<
I thought I once saw an ad for Moffo's film with the title "Jet-Set Swingers".
Personally, I like "Love Me Baby, Love Me" better.
"Love Me, Baby, Love Me" must be the British version. Incidentally, she
did sing in the film, though only an Italian pop song, and as background
music. Anyone got a video of that movie? Don't mind *seeing* her again.
J.
Trev(UK)
"Storia d'Amore."
stephenmead
2004-01-28 00:12:33 UTC
Post by F R
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
Going way back, Geraldine Farrar appeared in a number of *silent* films,
including a silent versoin of Carmen.
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 01:12:33 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 7:12 PM Eastern Standard Time
Post by F R
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
Going way back, Geraldine Farrar appeared in a number of *silent* films,
including a silent versoin of Carmen.
And, of course, the great Caruso made two silent movies!!

Ed
Calaf
2004-01-28 01:53:57 UTC
Didn't Maria Callas act in a non-singing film of Medea?
Ed
Mitchell Kaufman
2004-01-28 02:31:45 UTC
Jan Peerce had a bit part as Uncle Manny in "Goodbye, Columbus," which
was directed by his son Larry.

MK
Mitchell Kaufman
2004-01-28 02:38:48 UTC
Post by Mitchell Kaufman
Jan Peerce had a bit part as Uncle Manny in "Goodbye, Columbus," which
was directed by his son Larry.
Oh, yeah--and Ezio Flagello makes a momentary appearance in Godfather II
as the impresario of the little Italian theater in the Lower East Side.
He's seen backstage as the young Vito and his friend are leaving.

MK
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 04:10:47 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 9:38 PM Eastern Standard Time
Post by Mitchell Kaufman
Jan Peerce had a bit part as Uncle Manny in "Goodbye, Columbus," which
was directed by his son Larry.
Oh, yeah--and Ezio Flagello makes a momentary appearance in Godfather II
as the impresario of the little Italian theater in the Lower East Side.
He's seen backstage as the young Vito and his friend are leaving.
MK
Giorgio Tozzi has appeared in a few TV shows- usually as a gangster!

Also- Spiro Malas ( I never thought he had any voice whatsover, but he was an
opera singer) as appeared in may TV shows and films.

Ed
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 04:09:14 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Didn't Maria Callas act in a non-singing film of Medea?
Yes, she did. And it was a bomb!!!

Ed
jszostaksr
2004-01-28 04:16:55 UTC
Ed: You can than the director for that...wasn't it Zeffirelli?

Jon E. Szostak, Sr.
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Ed
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 04:22:36 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 11:16 PM Eastern Standard Time
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Didn't Maria Callas act in a non-singing film of Medea?
Yes, she did. And it was a bomb!!!
Ed
I'm not sure if it was Zeffirelli, but it probably was. Callas looked gorgeous.

Ed
Pmalora
2004-01-29 01:42:27 UTC
not zeferelli but Pasolini..sp?
Karen Mercedes
2004-01-29 03:01:34 UTC
I thought of another, very noteworthy: Maria Callas in Pasolini's MEDEA,
which was a film of the play, not the opera.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
________________________________
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein
Mike Richter
2004-01-28 04:24:26 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Didn't Maria Callas act in a non-singing film of Medea?
Yes, she did. And it was a bomb!!!
No, it was Pasolini.

Mike
--
***@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/
daniel f. tritter
2004-01-28 16:40:53 UTC
no, i think it was pasolini

dft
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Ed
jszostaksr
2004-01-28 04:21:20 UTC
Oops...I correct myself...the director was Pier Paolo Pasolini...and here's
some info though not my words-
-----------------------

The great Greek opera diva Maria Callas made only one film and that was this
fascinating version of Euripides play. With: Massimo Girotti as Greonte,
Laurent Terzieff as Centaur, Giuseppe Gentili as Jason, Margarethe Clementi
as Glauce, Anna Maria Chio as Nurse. Notes: Produced by Franco Rossellini.
Adapted by Pasolini. Cinematography by Enio Guarnieri. Edited by Nino
Baragli.
-----------------------

Jon E. Szostak, Sr.
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Ed
David Melnick
2004-01-28 08:02:39 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 8:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
Didn't Maria Callas act in a non-singing film of Medea?
Yes, she did. And it was a bomb!!!
Ed
1. It was made during a difficult period in her life.
So many illusions being shattered.
No career, no lover, few friends.

2. It was not Pasolini's best effort.
It might have been better in black and white, like
Cacoyannis's Electra...and Pasolini's own Accatone.
Lousy Jason, too. Terzieff would have been a much better
Jason. I don't know why Pasolini didn't understand that.
It would have resonated with T's roles in any number
of great movies of the preceding decade (e.g., Carne's
Les Tricheurs) the way the old Hollywood actors'
performances resonated from film to film.

3. Nonetheless, it's an intensely fascinating document.
One doesn't usually find oneself concentrating at
every moment at a movie the way one does in this one,
seeking clues to the secret of Callas.

Dvd
Jack Hamilton
2004-01-28 06:11:12 UTC
Post by Calaf
Didn't Maria Callas act in a non-singing film of Medea?
Yes, directed by Pier-Paolo Pasolini. It can't say it was a great film,
but she was certainly impressive. Some might say it wouldn't be
possible to overact more than she did, but given the character she
played it worked.

--

In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
***@acm.org
Mike Richter
2004-01-28 04:21:42 UTC
Post by F R
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
Fyodor Chaliapin in "Ivan the Terrible"
Geraldine Farrar in "Carmen"

Both were 'silent' films. Though the "Carmen" is the familiar story,
Chaliapin's overwhelming performance is not related to opera at all.

Mike
--
***@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/
jszostaksr
2004-01-28 04:27:25 UTC
Mike: You mentioning Chaliapin reminded me that Ezio Pinza played the role
of 'Chaliapin' in a movie about the life of Sol Hurok...'Tonight We
Sing'...or something like that. Sure Pinza sang in the movie...only in
Chaliapin's style...but the real fun was watching his antics as Chaliapin
who apparently was a real life character himself. Anyway...I think it was
Pinza

Does anyone else remember this...or have I gone delusional?

Jon E. Szostak, Sr.
http://www.mrichter.com/
Mitchell Kaufman
2004-01-28 05:12:50 UTC
Post by jszostaksr
Mike: You mentioning Chaliapin reminded me that Ezio Pinza played the role
of 'Chaliapin' in a movie about the life of Sol Hurok...'Tonight We
Sing'...or something like that. Sure Pinza sang in the movie...only in
Chaliapin's style...but the real fun was watching his antics as Chaliapin
who apparently was a real life character himself. Anyway...I think it was
Pinza
Does anyone else remember this...or have I gone delusional?
In situations like this, you can always check the Internet Movie
Database, the site for all things related to film. Here's the page on
"Tonight We Sing:"

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0046441/

MK
jszostaksr

MK
Leonard Tillman
2004-01-28 05:44:18 UTC
Mike: You mentioning Chaliapin reminded me
that Ezio Pinza played the role
of 'Chaliapin' in a movie about the life of Sol
Hurok...'Tonight We Sing'...or something like
that. Sure Pinza sang in the movie...only in
Chaliapin's style...but the real fun was
watching his antics as Chaliapin who
apparently was a real life character himself.
Anyway...I think it was Pinza
Does anyone else remember this...or have I
gone delusional?
No delusions at all, Jon!
Pinza did appear as Chaliapin in that film.

As for Chaliapin's notability of character,
Arthur Rubinstein knew him well and in his (Rubinstein's) autobiography
told colorful tales of the basso who sometimes took him along as a sort
of pal/proteg=E9. There's also to be found Rubinstein's account of his
tryst with Emmy Destinn (Never mind "Lydia, the Tattood Lady"! --
Destinn was the real article.).
Jon E. Szostak, Sr.
Best,
LT
-------------
Leonard Tillman
Mc
2004-01-28 06:05:24 UTC
Did Gordon MacRae ever record any opera ?
One of my favorite singers of all time.
Mc
Mike: You mentioning Chaliapin reminded me
that Ezio Pinza played the role
of 'Chaliapin' in a movie about the life of Sol
Hurok...'Tonight We Sing'...or something like
that. Sure Pinza sang in the movie...only in
Chaliapin's style...but the real fun was
watching his antics as Chaliapin who
apparently was a real life character himself.
Anyway...I think it was Pinza
Does anyone else remember this...or have I
gone delusional?
No delusions at all, Jon!
Pinza did appear as Chaliapin in that film.

As for Chaliapin's notability of character,
Arthur Rubinstein knew him well and in his (Rubinstein's) autobiography
told colorful tales of the basso who sometimes took him along as a sort
of pal/protegé. There's also to be found Rubinstein's account of his
Leonard Tillman
Leonard Tillman
2004-01-28 06:32:00 UTC
Post by Mc
Did Gordon MacRae ever record any opera ?
One of my favorite singers of all time.
Of opera recordings, I doubt it, - but he did some operetta highlight
albums in the late '50s, with such leading ladies as Marguerite Piazza,
Dorothy Warenskjold, and Lucille Norman. He starred in The Desert Song
film-version with Kathryn Grayson. Most of his recordings that I recall,
though, were Musical Theater selections for the Capital label. It
wouild be good to see them reappear as CDs.

MacRae's daughter, Heather, btw, has put together a show devoted to her
father, in which she sings (and *very* well) some of the most popular
songs associated with his career - with the lyrics altered just a bit.
Post by Mc
Mc
Best,

Leonard Tillman
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 13:30:22 UTC
Date: 1/28/04 1:32 AM Eastern Standard Time
Post by Mc
Did Gordon MacRae ever record any opera ?
One of my favorite singers of all time.
Of opera recordings, I doubt it, - but he did some operetta highlight
albums in the late '50s, with such leading ladies as Marguerite Piazza,
Dorothy Warenskjold, and Lucille Norman
Also Dorothy Kirsten. My first Student Prince was with MacRae and Kirsten, on
Capital Records.

Ed
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 13:28:52 UTC
Date: 1/28/04 1:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
Did Gordon MacRae ever record any opera ?
One of my favorite singers of all time.
Mc
I don't think so, though he did record much operaretta.

Robert Merrill knew MacRae well in the 50's and told me that he tried to
convince MacRae to study opera, since MacRae had such a gorgeous baritone, but
MacRae was happy in the movie musicals.

Ed
http://www.premiereopera.com for the best opera on CD, VIDEO, CD-ROM
GIANT SALE NOW IN EFFECT!!!!
Pmalora
2004-01-29 01:49:43 UTC
as late as last year Robert Merrill was part of the Hijinks on a baseball
field.The film comedy starred major hollywood people , but alas can not
remember the title.
Leonard Tillman
2004-01-29 02:16:11 UTC
Post by Pmalora
as late as last year Robert Merrill was part of
the Hijinks on a baseball field.The film
comedy starred major hollywood people , but
alas can not remember the title.
It's "Anger Management", with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler.

Leonard Tillman
David Melnick
2004-01-28 08:16:18 UTC
Post by Leonard Tillman
As for Chaliapin's notability of character,
Arthur Rubinstein knew him well and in his (Rubinstein's) autobiography
told colorful tales of the basso who sometimes took him along as a sort
of pal/protegé.
Tamara Karsavina's autobiography, Theater Street,
also contains a couple of anecdotes conveying the
flavor of Chaliapin's irresistible life-of-the-party
behavior offstage, as well as his magnetism onstage, IIRC.

Dvd
daniel f. tritter
2004-01-28 16:50:19 UTC
Post by David Melnick
Post by Leonard Tillman
As for Chaliapin's notability of character,
Arthur Rubinstein knew him well and in his (Rubinstein's) autobiography
told colorful tales of the basso who sometimes took him along as a sort
of pal/protegé.
Tamara Karsavina's autobiography, Theater Street,
also contains a couple of anecdotes conveying the
flavor of Chaliapin's irresistible life-of-the-party
behavior offstage, as well as his magnetism onstage, IIRC.
Dvd
you may also want to check the part of gerald moore's "am i too loud,"
telling amusing tales of being chaliapin's axccompanist in recital tours
when moore was a young man. very funny.

dft
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 13:33:42 UTC
And, let's not forget Robert Merrill, who made two movies, about 50 years
apart!

First was the ill fated Aaron Slick from Pumpkin Crik, in about 1952-3. And
very recently, Merrill had a bit part, but a juicy bit part, in the Jack
Nicholson film, "Anger Management.!!

Ed
Premiereopera
2004-01-28 05:55:08 UTC
Date: 1/27/04 11:27 PM Eastern Standard Time
Mike: You mentioning Chaliapin reminded me that Ezio Pinza played the role
of 'Chaliapin' in a movie about the life of Sol Hurok...'Tonight We
Sing'...or something like that. Sure Pinza sang in the movie...only in
Chaliapin's style...but the real fun was watching his antics as Chaliapin
who apparently was a real life character himself. Anyway...I think it was
Pinza
Does anyone else remember this...or have I gone delusional?
Jon E. Szostak, Sr.
No, everything you say is as I remember. I have the film on video, in fair
quality. Anyone have it in very good quality. I'd love to trade for it.

Ed
John
http://www.mrichter.com/
Sailbad Sinner
2004-01-28 06:34:58 UTC
Post by F R
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing.
which opera singer ... was the best actress in a film sans music?
How about Lotte Lenya (Kurt Weill's widow and an opera singer in her
own right) as Rosa Klebb in the Bond film "From Russia with love". She
may not have been the mother of all seductresses but perhaps the
great-grandmother?
David Melnick
And who could forget her in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone?!
l***@webtv.net
2004-02-01 14:43:56 UTC
Madelyn Kahn studied opera and sang "Musetta", and then became a movie
star overnight playing the zany Eunice in "What's Up Doc?". Kitty
Carlisle appeared in "A Night at the Opera" with the Marx Brothers,
although that film did have singing in it. Wilhemina Higgins-Fernandez
appeared as the diva in "Diva", she sang one aria from "La Wally".
Alcindoro
2004-01-28 17:57:36 UTC
Post by Sailbad Sinner
How about Lotte Lenya (Kurt Weill's widow and an opera singer in her
own right)<

At the risk of rekindling the "Michael Amante semantics war", I would never
call Lenya an "opera singer", and she certainly wouldn't have either.
daniel f. tritter
2004-01-28 16:18:15 UTC
Post by F R
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. i
believe anna moffo, after her nose job was in an italian film where she
even did a nude scene. which opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
jarmila novotna in "the search," though she did sing a bit of a czech
folk song in one of the opening scenes. it's a very touching film, with
montgomery clift and aline mcmahon.

dft
Karen Mercedes
2004-01-28 18:16:24 UTC
The best I can think of is Jose Van Dam's moving portrayal of Joachim
Dallayrac in LE MAITRE DE MUSIQUE. Not entirely without singing - it is a
film about a retired singer who becomes music pedagogue/mentor to two
young opera singers - but it is very much a dramatic role, and quite
beautifully played by Van Dam (who does perform a few songs on the
soundtrack, including a very haunting Um Mitternacht from Mahler's
RUECKERT-LIEDER)

Julia Migenes was quite good in an obscure little Cold War film called
BERLIN BLUES. It's wasn't completely without music - Migenes played a
night-club singer who had operatic pretensions - but it was mainly a
dramatic role, not a film of a musical or an opera. Migenes was also
uncredited in the bit part of Judy Garland in the film THE KRAYS.

Geraldine Farrar was quite good in Cecil B. DeMille's JOAN THE WOMAN, in
which she was again paired with Wallace Reid, who I still maintain was one
of the best Don Joses ever, in DeMille's 1916 silent film of CARMEN, in
which Farrar also shone. To the extent that a silent film is "non-singing"
Farrar's filmic Carmen may rank #1 as best non-singing portrayal by any
opera singer.

Did anyone happen to catch Teresa Stratas in the made-for-TV
disease-of-the-week film UNDER THE PIANO? If so, how was she?

- Albert Einstein
J.Venning
2004-01-28 21:31:02 UTC
There was an English film called "The Glass Mountain", made in 1949, in
which Tito Gobbi played an Italian resistance fighter, and the only song he
sang was a lullaby, accompanying himself on the accordion.
Christopher Lee studied opera at the Stockholm Music Conservatoire, and
married a Swedish soprano. He never sang in any of the numerous films he
made.
J.
MCWCilento
2004-01-31 12:43:11 UTC
Franco Corelli appeared in a spaghetti western in Italy in the 1950s. When he
was asked the name of it, he said it so quickly (and a bit ruefully!) that I
couldn't catch it. He did sing in it. Does anyone know what it was?
Capa0848
2004-02-01 14:18:03 UTC
Subject: opera singers in non-singing films
Date: 1/27/2004 2:23 PM Pacific Standard Time
there were many singers who were in movies that had no singing. ... Which
opera singer in your opinion was the best
actor/actress in a film sans any music?
frank
==================
Although his name needs to be asterisked in this context, I don't think anyone
mentioned Paul Robeson, who might have become a formidable singer of certain
roles given the opportunity and inclination.

He appeared in a dozen films (I don't know how many of them he sang in, as in
"Show Boat"), and I'm confident that with more experience (and better roles!)
he could have become a very accomplished film actor, as opposed to just a
memorable one.

One hardly hears his name mentioned any more, but he was undeniably one of the
most diversely and abundantly talented humans on the planet in the twentieth
century.

Pat

Oh, cease! must hate and death return?
Cease! must men kill and die?
Cease! drain not to the dregs the urn
Of bitter prophecy
The world is weary of the past.
Oh might it die or rest at last. Shelley, "Hellas"