Correct pronunciation of Calleja
S***@altavista.net
2005-01-08 19:38:48 UTC
I am listening to Bellini's Romeo and Juliet on Klara.
Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja's name was pronounced as Caleya. Is this
the correct pronunciation of his name?
cha
2005-01-08 19:49:48 UTC
Probably need to ask him or his family directly.

Malta is sort of a hodgepodge or Latinalia

It's a Spanish name so Kai-EH-ha would be the off the rack rendering but....
Ca-LEY-ya would be the off the rack Italian rendering. My name is like that.
It's Italian but has been Anglisized over the yrs.., "for-a-to-be-a-more-a-
easy-to-a-say for-a-dee-'Medicans

I have heard opera type over the yrs refer to Placido Domindo with an
Italian pronounciation: PLAH-chee-do Domingo. That might have been what the
speaker was doing
S***@altavista.net
2005-01-08 20:11:37 UTC
Apparently Caleya (Ca-ley-ya) is the correct pronunciation. Just found
in Wikipedia that Maltese j is pronunced y (as in yes or york).
cwilson
2005-01-09 03:36:23 UTC
And so the Joseph is pronounced Yosef?
Stephen Jay-Taylor
2005-01-09 06:39:39 UTC
"And so the Joseph is pronounced Yosef?" CW

Hmmm. I knew there was something else I should have asked..... Well, he's
here soon for his debut Alfredo : I'll find out then

SYT
David Melnick
2005-01-09 07:16:03 UTC
Post by Stephen Jay-Taylor
"And so the Joseph is pronounced Yosef?" CW
Hmmm. I knew there was something else I should have asked..... Well, he's
here soon for his debut Alfredo : I'll find out then
SYT
I expect that if his fee is high enough, one can call him
whatever one wants. ;-)

dav, who learned to like "Dave" because of the pay

P.S. Listening late at night to the 2003 b'cast Act 3 with
Galouzine, who may not sing all the notes on pitch but is
one hell of an Otello.
Leonard Tillman
2005-01-09 16:52:15 UTC
-----
Post by S***@altavista.net
And so the Joseph is pronounced Yosef?
Perhaps only when Calleja is visiting/performing in German and
Scandinavian speaking countries, - or some others, including Latvia.

LT,
recalling the great Yosef Schmidt.
Xise
2005-01-09 22:04:23 UTC
Calleja is a Spanish name pronounced Cayeh-ha. Since his family has been in
Malta for a long time, he may prounounce it differently.

Regards.
Ximena
Mark D Lew
2005-01-09 23:07:56 UTC
Post by Xise
Calleja is a Spanish name pronounced Cayeh-ha. Since his family has been in
Malta for a long time, he may prounounce it differently.
For what it's worth, there have been Callejas on Malta since at least
the 16th century. See
<http://www.searchmalta.com/surnames/calleja/index.shtml>.

mdl
Leonard Tillman
2005-01-09 22:51:52 UTC
Post by Xise
Calleja is a Spanish name pronounced
Cayeh-ha. Since his family has been in Malta
for a long time, he may prounounce it
differently.
The name , with a slight spelling-variation, "Joseph Calleia", was
shared by a popular character-actor (1897-1975) who was in many films
from the '30s to the '60s. He was a bandit in the Mae West-W.C. Fields
film "My Little Chickadee".
Post by Xise
Regards.
Ximena
Best,

Leonard Tillman
Leonard Tillman
2005-01-09 22:53:46 UTC
Btw,
IIRC, the actor Joeeph Calleia had a background of operatic vocal
studies.

Leonard Tillman

Stephen Jay-Taylor
2005-01-09 03:51:34 UTC
CAL-LAY-YA, as advised by bigwigs chez Decca, who should know.

SJT, who likes Malteasers : they have less-fattening centres. ( Obscure
English confectionary joke : overseas readers please ignore. )
Steve Silverman
2005-01-09 12:25:54 UTC
Post by Stephen Jay-Taylor
SJT, who likes Malteasers : they have less-fattening centres.
But do they melt in the hand? That would be a real treat.

Steve Silverman
Stephen Jay-Taylor
2005-01-09 17:48:25 UTC
"But do they melt in the hand? That would be a real treat."

Steve Silverman

Evidently snickering. This is turning into a marathon.

SJT, on-Topic
Steve Silverman
2005-01-09 18:36:48 UTC
Post by Stephen Jay-Taylor
Evidently snickering. This is turning into a marathon.
Keep it on-topic please. This is no place for smarties.

Steve Silverman
S***@altavista.net
2005-01-09 17:48:21 UTC
Post by Stephen Jay-Taylor
CAL-LAY-YA, as advised by bigwigs chez Decca, who should know.
On sci.lng newsgroup I was advised that: "In standard orthography it
should give tSalléya, light and doubled L. The initial c takes a
diacritic on top".

Lucia, not commenting on Malteasers
S***@altavista.net
2005-01-09 22:15:07 UTC
It seems that the expert linguists on sci.lang cannot agree on
pronunciation. So far there are tSalléya, cal-lay-ya and Ka-ye-ha
(like in Spanish).