L'Italiana in Algeri
Oisk17
2004-02-14 19:47:35 UTC
Last night we attended the opening performance of L'Italiana at the Met. The
last time I saw it at the Met it was with Marilyn Horne; I do not recall the
other singers. But if someone were to ask me now about that opera, I would say
that I saw it at the Met with Juan Diego Florez.

This is not to denigrate the performance of Olga Borodina, who sang the title
role, and sang and acted very well indeed. (but not well enough to eclipse my
memories of Ms. Horne) And Ferruccio Furlanetto was hilarious and wonderful as
Mustafa. But from his very first few notes, Florez sang at a different level.
The voice is not overpoweringly strong; it is pure and true, with a sweetness
of tone like no one else's, IMO.

If you can get in, go and see this production. Great cast, well directed.
Minor quibble - I did not think that the Met orchestra performed up to its
usual standard - It will be interesting to read the reviews, Even more
interesting to read the comments of the RMO experts.

Regards,

Paul
gggg gggg
2023-06-30 07:01:39 UTC
Post by Oisk17
[...]
(2023 Youtube upload):

"Ripe For Reissue: Rossini's L'Italiana on Erato"