Daniele Barioni's birthday
Chuckie
2006-09-06 15:13:13 UTC
Hi all,
Many of us have what is known as our "sleeper singers," (i.e.
artists possibly less-known than the "big ones" for whom we have felt a
special love over the years,and whom we feel deserved more attention.)
Such an artists is today's birthday celebrant, tenor Daniele Barioni,
born on Sept.6, 1930.
Barioni mad a surprise debut as Cavaradossi,replacing
Giuseppe campora, in 1957. When the man opened his mouth in the
"Recondita Armonia," we standees were totally enraptured by the sheer
honeyed tone,especially in the middle voice. (Just play the Bongiovanni
recital and I think you will agree, and if you think Corelli held the
"Turandot" long when he rang the gong, take out a stop-watch and listen
to the live excerpt with Barioni) .) I particularly recall an example
of a phrase in Mme.Butterfly that usually goes for nothing special, but
in his voice, it was something that melted us: "Beviamo ai novissimi
legami"..before the entrance of the Bonzo.
As time passed,we did note a tendency to spread on the
top notes, and the career did not last as long as it could have, but we
did have a chance to hear the man in his prime years, and we were
thrilled. I also recommend you listen to the opening of the RCA Rondine
ensemble in act two (Beva al tuo fresco sorriso),and that represents
the special dark-hued beautiuful quality of Barioni's voice.
I recall that his young wife, violinist Vera
Franceschi, died tragically of cancer, and then shortly after we lost
track of the man, and wonder if he did much in other countries, and
where he might be today. I do remember a humorous title for a recording
he made on LP.It was entitled, "E avanti a lui tremava tutto il
Metropolitan."
Wherever the guy is, a very happy birthday. We
did not have him long, but what we had was glorious! Charlie
gggg gggg

https://slippedisc.com/2022/11/famed-italian-tenor-dies-at-92/
gggg gggg
2022-11-09 03:07:54 UTC
[...]