Don Giovanni???
Wagner Fan
2009-01-14 20:29:38 UTC
I know its an unfair question but I'm mainly asking to get some information
that may cue me in to some recordings with which I may not be familiar, so
here goes - what is your favorite live or studio of this masterpiece and
why??? Wagner Fan
Ancona21
2009-01-14 21:52:42 UTC
Post by Wagner Fan
I know its an unfair question but I'm mainly asking to get some information
that may cue me in to some recordings with which I may not be familiar, so
here goes - what is your favorite live or studio of this masterpiece and
why???  Wagner Fan
I have only ever owned two:
George London et al (Moralt) 1959
Cesare Siepi et al (Krips) 1955

To me they are unsurpassable. I need no others.
A21
Wagner Fan

A21
Ancona21
2009-01-14 23:14:57 UTC
Post by Wagner Fan
I have those both (the Moralt is from 1955 BTW) why are they
unsurpassable??? >
Excuse that. I was overwrought. I simply can't imagine anybody
reaching the level of
London or Siepi, and without a great Don I'm not interested.
A21
A21
w***@hotmail.com
George London/Rudolf Moralt Giovanni was recorded in 1954 not 1959. If you are referring to the one issued by Epic/Phillips.
Mark
2009-01-14 22:44:06 UTC
Post by Wagner Fan
I know its an unfair question but I'm mainly asking to get some information
that may cue me in to some recordings with which I may not be familiar, so
here goes - what is your favorite live or studio of this masterpiece and
why???  Wagner Fan
Buy yourself the DVD of the Losey film. I got it again last week from
Amazon for $15. Raimondi is very good, as is the supporting cast, plus
it is the most sumptuous production you will ever see.
Ken Meltzer
2009-01-14 22:57:48 UTC
Post by Wagner Fan
I know its an unfair question but I'm mainly asking to get some information
that may cue me in to some recordings with which I may not be familiar, so
here goes - what is your favorite live or studio of this masterpiece and
why???  Wagner Fan
I have never found a recording that is totally satisfactory. "Don
Giovanni" demands too much-at least six (and arguably eight) superb
Mozart singers, plus a conductor who can achieve an exquisite balance
of elegance, humor, and fiery drama.
But here's one I really like:
Salzburg Festival, July 27, 1970
Don Giovanni-Nicolai Ghiaurov
Donna Anna-Gundula Janowitz
Don Ottavio-Stuart Burrows
Donna Elvira-Teresa Zylis-Gara
Leporello-Geraint Evans
Masetto-Rolando Panerai
Zerlina-Olivera Miljakovic
Commendatore-Victor von Halem
Vienna State Opera Chorus, Vienna Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan,
Conductor
Orfeo C615 033D

I realize that Ghiaurov's creamy bass voice is probably not what
Mozart had in mind, but I find the sound of this singer in his prime
unbelievably compelling and seductive. I also love his contribution
on the Klemperer EMI recording (another of my guilty pleasures) but
Karajan's quicker tempos work to the singer's advantage.
Burrows is one of the best Ottavios I've ever heard-in beautiful
voice, capable of surmounting all the technical hurdles with ease, and
very passionate, too. I like Ottavios who have some spine. Burrows
does.
The rest of the singers are all fine, although the Zerlina is nothing
special. I'm no great fan of post-1950s Karajan, but here he conducts
marvelously, and the Vienna Philharmonic plays like angels.
Not perfect-no "Don Giovanni" is. But this is a really good overall
presentation of the work, and in the case of Ghiaurov and Burrows, it
documents two performances I would not want to be without.
Best,
Ken
wkasimer
2009-01-15 04:20:45 UTC
I have never found a recording that is totally satisfactory.
Same here. But the live 1956 Mitropoulos comes pretty close. It
features the Siepi/Corena team at their best, along with a superb
surrounding cast - Grummer, Della Casa, Streich, Simoneau, Frick, and
Berry. And great conducting. I think that in all respects but
sonics, this is way better than the Krips recording from around the
same time.

Bill
Wagner Fan

Bill
richergar@hotnail.com
2009-01-15 04:57:50 UTC
I can never value whole recordings against each other - I envy it that
people can, but I just can't. I can do it role by role, and I think
in that way I may end up thinking that among the commercial sets, the
Krips that Ancona mentions comes pretty close to ideal of the
commercial ones I know, and for the same reason he does.

My question to you and Ken and anyone else is what are your thoughts
about the Bruno Walter MET from 37 or so as a whole? I remember that
for wonderful conducting, and don't have a more detailed memory of the
performances. I am looking at the cds as I write and seem to recall
that Mi tradi (and maybe something else?) is cut, but the cast looks
pretty damn good.

Also, are none of the Furt's appealing to you? I think that for me,
this is very much a 'conductor's' opera, even more than a Don's, so to
speak.

Best
Bill
Wagner Fan
2009-01-15 09:22:15 UTC
I'm a great Furtwangler fan but I have to be in the mood for his Don
Giovannis = the "giocoso" is pretty much missing. The casts are wonderful
however and the readings do have great power.

The problem I have with the Krips is the conducting - not nearly dramatic
enough, the woman (Danco doesn't have enough power as Anna and della Casa
sounds like she's fifteen and not nearly pissed off enough) and even
Dermota's Ottavio ( a singer I usually admire but out of sorts for those two
arias ) The positives are Siepi and Corena both in their wonderful primes
and Gueden's delectable Zerlina - no way Masetto could resist her.

Wagner Fan

Bill
Ken Meltzer
2009-01-15 12:15:12 UTC
Post by ***@hotnail.com
My question to you and Ken and anyone else is what are your thoughts
about the Bruno Walter MET from 37 or so as a whole? I remember that
for wonderful conducting, and don't have a more detailed memory of the
performances. I am looking at the cds as I write and seem to recall
that Mi tradi (and maybe something else?) is cut, but the cast looks
pretty damn good.
I don't think I've ever heard one from that early. I have heard the
famous broadcast from the early-40s:
Don Giovanni............Ezio Pinza
Donna Anna..............Rose Bampton
Don Ottavio.............Charles Kullman
Donna Elvira............Jarmila Novotna
Leporello...............Alexander Kipnis
Zerlina.................Bidú Sayao
Masetto.................Mack Harrell
Commendatore............Norman Cordon

Conductor...............Bruno Walter

I think this is one of those performances where the total is less than
the sum of its parts. It would be hard for a cast and conductor like
this not to do some great things. It's also fun to hear Walter in his
somewhat more youthful, fiery mode.
But there are just too many ensemble problems for me to enjoy this set
as an overall performance. In that sense, I place this "Giovanni"
along with an another impressively-cast Met broadcast that isn't
really that good as an overall performance-the 1956 "Forza". It's
perfectly fine if you ignore all the times conductor and singers are
not together (and for that matter, ignore Stiedry's often leaden
tempi).
I won't even mention that Milanov is slightly past her best,
especially compared to Forza broadcasts from the early 50s.
Best,
Ken
wkasimer
2009-01-15 14:11:18 UTC
Post by Ken Meltzer
I won't even mention that Milanov is slightly past her best,
Wasn't she always?

Bill
Ken Meltzer
2009-01-15 14:44:40 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Ken Meltzer
I won't even mention that Milanov is slightly past her best,
Wasn't she always?
Bill
Particularly if you took her word for how good she was.
Best,
Ken
LT
2009-01-15 15:05:03 UTC
No.
premiereopera@aol.com
2009-01-15 15:08:41 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Ken Meltzer
I won't even mention that Milanov is slightly past her best,
Wasn't she always?
Bill
No.
I agree with LT. I loved Milanov, and though her very best years were
mostly over by 1955-6, she still did some gorgeous singing the the
decade that I heard her- which was 1956-66.

Ed
LT
2009-01-15 23:10:55 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by wkasimer
Post by Ken Meltzer
I won't even mention that Milanov is slightly past her best,
Wasn't she always?
Bill
No.
I agree with LT. I loved Milanov, and though her very best years were
mostly over by 1955-6, she still did some gorgeous singing the the
decade that I heard her- which was 1956-66.
And perhaps even a bit past that; eg, her 'Tosca' at CG with Corelli
and Guelfi.
Ed
premiereopera@aol.com
2009-01-15 23:23:43 UTC
Post by LT
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by wkasimer
Post by Ken Meltzer
I won't even mention that Milanov is slightly past her best,
Wasn't she always?
Bill
No.
I agree with LT. I loved Milanov, and though her very best years were
mostly over by 1955-6, she still did some gorgeous singing the the
decade that I heard her- which was 1956-66.
And perhaps even a bit past that; eg, her 'Tosca' at CG with Corelli
and Guelfi.
Post by ***@aol.com
Ed- Hide quoted text -
This Tosca was done in the first six months of 1957. Her commercial
recording of Tosca was made in the summer of that year. I think she is
better in the live performance than in the commercial recording. Not
that the RCA is bad, but the live Covent Garden with a young Corelli
and a great Guelfi is better.

Corelli has said in interviews that Milanov was very nice and very
helpful to him. At that time, she was a very big name, and he was
quite unknown outside of Italy.

Best,
Ed
LT
2009-01-15 23:41:48 UTC
Post by LT
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by ***@aol.com
Ed- Hide quoted text -
This Tosca was done in the first six >months of 1957.
Oops! -I was some ten years off....
Her commercial
recording of Tosca was made in the summer of that year. I think she is
better in the live performance than in the commercial recording. Not
that the RCA is bad, but the live Covent Garden with a young Corelli
and a great Guelfi is better.
I'd agree, much as I love the RCA recording; Theoretically, the
performances should have been about equal (Bjoerling, Warren 'vs'
Corelli and Guelfi - titans all!), but the studio set's parts didn't
quite add up to the *sum.
Corelli has said in interviews that Milanov was very nice and very
helpful to him. At that time, she was a very big name, and he was
quite unknown outside of Italy.
I'd wish there were more of them together.
They were each other's vocal counterparts, IMO.
Best,
Ed- Hide quoted text -
Best
LT
*my comment re 'parts/sum' applies, also, to the studio 'Faust' with
Caballe, Aragall, and Plishka.
premiereopera@aol.com
2009-01-15 14:45:52 UTC
Post by ***@hotnail.com
[...]
The reason that conductor and singers are not together was that
Stiedry was losing his hearing. This is a much documented problem at
the time. Any performance he gave in his last couple of seasons suffer
from this, and Tucker once mentioned it to me. The singers would be
going along at the rehearsed tempo, and all of a sudden Stiedry would
speed up or slow down. Nobody knew why initially, but it came out that
his hearing was severely compromised. I believe he left the Met, and
probably conducting, shortly after 1956 or so.

And I think, except for one spot in the Convent Scene where she tries
for a minute or two, that Zinka is fine in the 1956 Forza. But it is
the 1952 that does show her best Forza broadcast. She was still in
complete command of her powers, and she sings thrillingly. For me,
Hines as Guardiano in that broadcast is unfortunate, since Siepi did
the opening night performance and most of the others, too, The '56
really has an all-star cast of Milanov, Tucker, Warren, Siepi, Corena,
but, alas, a conductor who could not hear them very well.

Has anyone heard the Don G. broadcast from 1943 in which Milanov sings
Donna Anna, under Bruno Walter, I believe. And what are your opinions
of Zinka in Mozart?

Best
Ed
Ken Meltzer
2009-01-15 15:14:38 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
[...]
Hi Ed:
I agree that Milanov is really fine in that earlier broadcast and that
it's a shame that Siepi is not the Guardiano in that performance,
especially given how fine the other principals are.
And putting my somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment about Milanov to the
side, I certainly understand her importance to the Met and that she
gave many considerable performances. But in the great Italian roles,
Tebaldi moves me a great deal more than does Milanov.
Best,
Ken
premiereopera@aol.com
2009-01-15 15:20:14 UTC
Post by Ken Meltzer
Post by ***@aol.com
[...]
Ken- Hide quoted text -
Yes, I would agree with you, Ken. Tebaldi was Italian, and sang with
that morbidezza that Zinka certainly lacked. But I was lucky- I could
see them both in the same week, sometimes in two days. I could see
Milanov in Chenier on a Monday, and Tebaldi in Forza on Tuesday. And
the next week it might be Zinka in the Forza and Renata in the
Chenier. The tenor was usually Tucker by the late 50's, and me and my
entire generation were spoiled for life by actually not only expecting
this kind of singing, but actually getting it countless times every
season.

Best,
Ed
Ken Meltzer
2009-01-15 15:48:33 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Ken Meltzer
Post by ***@aol.com
[...]
Ah, quit bragging! (;-)
You are indeed very fortunate, Ed. What's nice is that you never
forget that, or take it for granted.
Best,
Ken
Wagner Fan

Ed
Ancona21
2009-01-15 20:01:55 UTC
Post by ***@hotnail.com
[...]
Excessive ear wax can strike anyone regardless of their station in
life.
A21

I believe he left the Met, and
LT
2009-01-15 23:08:23 UTC
Post by Ancona21
Excessive ear wax can strike anyone
Wax, whatever its quantity doesn't 'strike'; it clogs, and totally -
expecially in the weird cases of those claiming that Peerce, Sereni,
Franchi, Lanza, and Battistini were vocal cyphers.
Post by Ancona21
regardless of their station in
life.
'Regardless'? It seems likelier in boll-hole residents, ie, boll and
its 'alters'.
LT
2009-01-15 00:02:56 UTC
Post by Wagner Fan
I know its an unfair question but I'm mainly asking to get some information
that may cue me in to some recordings with which I may not be familiar, so
here goes - what is your favorite live or studio of this masterpiece and
why???  Wagner Fan
Aside from Siepi's (any of them) and London's, there's Ghiaurov's -
cond. by Col. Klink's dad, and a couple of live Pinza performances.
Each of these, in addition to superb casts, features truly awe-
inspiring 'Don G.'s'. Among baritone Giovannis, the most impressive
in recent decades/years have been two Brits - Sir Thomas Allen and his
direct successor (in style and vocal splendor), Simon Keenlyside.
Before them, Prey was another outstanding example.

The two 'most menacing' of these cavaliers: Terfel, and some years
earlier, Milnes. They each imbued the role more with ferocity and
suavity - but it 'worked', for whatever the reason.
g***@gmail.com
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical.recordings/3dz57U3hqwI
gggg gggg
2023-08-20 03:56:09 UTC