Is Jonas Kaufmann of Jewish Origin?
stefano
2010-04-22 14:18:20 UTC
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.

Frank A.
Pat
2010-04-22 15:11:19 UTC
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so.  Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background?  I imagine if he were, it would be known.  Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
=================

I googled {"Jonas Kaufmann" tenor Jewish } and got a lot of hits, but
the first few pages of Google hits didn't show any case which used
all the words in the same sentence. Nor did I see any such reference
on his website, which is in German, but I think I would recognize
German forms of the word Jewish.

So one would surmise that either he is not Jewish, or that his
Jewishness (is that a word?0) has been of little consequence in his
life history.

Pat
Ricky Jimenez
And what about Johann Gottlieb and Reiner Goldberg?
Wagnerfan
or Alfred Rosenberg???? Wagner fan
richergar@hotnail.com
Frank A.
stefano
2010-04-22 15:54:43 UTC
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
I really could not anticipate such a response, Richard. I, for one,
only posed the question out of intellectual curiosity with no ulterior
motive at all. My own scholarly interests have focused on European
cultural, social and political history from the 19th century on, more
recently comparative Jewish history and especially the history of Jews
in Italy (about which I am currently writing a book). If indeed
Kaufmann were Jewish, it would be interesting to know what this
identity might have meant to him in the context of the "new" post-war
Germany, as well as his sense of the role Jews played in the
development of German culture from the Enlightenment until the
darkness of 1933. Historically, what it meant to be a German Jew has
been a complex question, particularly because German identity itself
has varied from the time of the Enlightenment, when it was based
primarily on Kultur, to the fin-de-siecle period, when it began to be
based more and more on biology, race, blood, etc. My question
regarding Jonas Kaufmann was simply an extension of all these
concerns. Best wishes!

Frank A.
wkasimer
2010-04-22 16:06:14 UTC
I really could not anticipate such a response, Richard.
Oh, I could easily imagine any number of antisemites who would give
exactly that response.

Bill
richergar@hotnail.com
2010-04-22 16:46:37 UTC
I was a bit tongue in cheek, thinking of the person I might ask,
although I see that wasn't apparent.

Still, I think there is a combination of guilt and assimilationism
that makes people sometimes not want to hear the question.

I think that there is a whole group of Europeans who don't want to
think about the issue - not only do they feel it is 'loaded', and they
thus want to avoid it, but there are some residual (I hope)
prejudices, and asking it is like asking someone "Are you related to
that famous cattle theif?" They think it's impolite because
ultimately, if you tie them down and tickle them with a feather, they
think it's something to be embarassed about. I just had someone who
cares about me a lot as a friend say to me yesterday (from Europe),
about someone else, blabblahblahblah this is a very Jewish deal
blahblahblah. At some point you understand it, but it is clearly
residual.

I wasn't trying at all to reflect on your concerns, Frank. I know it's
a big area for you, and quite interesting.

You must be familiar with the film "Christ Stopped at Eboli"?

All best
Frank A.
s***@gmail.com
Frank A.
Wagnerfan
Reading his autobiography and family history - I doubt it. Wagner fan
F R
2010-04-22 17:14:42 UTC
Frank,
As I'm sure you know, a name like Kaufmann which ends in 2 "Ns" is
usually a non-Jew whereas "Kaufman".. one N is usually Jewish. No doubt
there are exceptions of course.

For much of my life, I'd thought Ethel Merman, nee' Zimmermann, was
Jewish, but a quick google search shows her named spelled both with two
Ns and one, more often with 2. However she was not Jewish.

Frank
stefano
2010-04-22 17:36:46 UTC
Post by F R
Frank,
As I'm sure you know, a name like Kaufmann which ends in 2 "Ns" is
usually a non-Jew whereas "Kaufman".. one N is usually Jewish. No doubt
there are exceptions of course.
For much of my life, I'd thought Ethel Merman, nee' Zimmermann, was
Jewish, but a quick google search shows her named spelled both with two
Ns and one, more often with 2. However she was not Jewish.
Frank
In fact, there were quite a few Jewish Kaufmanns as well.

Frank A.
wkasimer
2010-04-22 17:47:53 UTC
Post by F R
As I'm sure you know, a name like Kaufmann which ends in 2 "Ns" is
usually a non-Jew whereas "Kaufman".. one N is usually Jewish. No doubt
there are exceptions of course.
Lots of people removed the second "n" back in the day, when they
wanted to distance themselves from their German roots (Charles
Kullman, for example, who wasn't Jewish, as far as I know). I know a
number of people, many of them Jewish, who have gone to the trouble of
going back to their original family name, adding the second "n". So
the "double-n rule" can't be applied consistently.

Bill
stefano
2010-04-22 19:39:26 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by F R
As I'm sure you know, a name like Kaufmann which ends in 2 "Ns" is
usually a non-Jew whereas "Kaufman".. one N is usually Jewish. No doubt
there are exceptions of course.
Lots of people removed the second "n" back in the day, when they
wanted to distance themselves from their German roots (Charles
Kullman, for example, who wasn't Jewish, as far as I know).  I know a
number of people, many of them Jewish, who have gone to the trouble of
going back to their original family name, adding the second "n".  So
the "double-n rule" can't be applied consistently.
Bill
We have gone around in a circle, though an interesting one. To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...

Frank A.
Wagnerfan
2010-04-22 19:48:09 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by F R
As I'm sure you know, a name like Kaufmann which ends in 2 "Ns" is
usually a non-Jew whereas "Kaufman".. one N is usually Jewish. No doubt
there are exceptions of course.
Lots of people removed the second "n" back in the day, when they
wanted to distance themselves from their German roots (Charles
Kullman, for example, who wasn't Jewish, as far as I know).  I know a
number of people, many of them Jewish, who have gone to the trouble of
going back to their original family name, adding the second "n".  So
the "double-n rule" can't be applied consistently.
Bill
We have gone around in a circle, though an interesting one.  To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...
Frank A.
Lets use a little common sense - in his autobio he says that he and
his family have lived in the Bogenhausen section of Munich for a long
time- he says his grandparents lived in the same apartment. He was
born in 1970 so I would think his grandparents lived there during the
Nazi era - if they were Jewish in any way I would think such a
continued timeline highly unlikely. Wagner fan
A21²
2010-04-22 20:51:05 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by F R
As I'm sure you know, a name like Kaufmann which ends in 2 "Ns" is
usually a non-Jew whereas "Kaufman".. one N is usually Jewish. No doubt
there are exceptions of course.
Lots of people removed the second "n" back in the day, when they
wanted to distance themselves from their German roots (Charles
Kullman, for example, who wasn't Jewish, as far as I know).  I know a
number of people, many of them Jewish, who have gone to the trouble of
going back to their original family name, adding the second "n".  So
the "double-n rule" can't be applied consistently.
Bill
We have gone around in a circle, though an interesting one.  To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...
Frank A.>
He doesn't look Jewish. But then neither do I.
Anconamann21
stefano
2010-04-22 22:30:58 UTC
Post by A21²
Post by wkasimer
Post by F R
[...]
Nonsense, A21. You look just like Tony Curtis.

Frank A.
premiereopera@aol.com
2010-04-23 00:26:10 UTC
Post by A21²
Post by wkasimer
Post by F R
[...]
Frank A.- Hide quoted text -
I think I saw Kaufmann wearing his Bar Mitzvah ring last week!

Ed
j***@yahoo.de
2010-04-23 08:52:24 UTC
Post by stefano
To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...
He is from an old Catholic family.

Jochen
clem
2010-04-23 13:29:20 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.de
Post by stefano
To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...
He is from an old Catholic family.
Jochen
This is in no way a comment on Jochen's English; gar nicht; if his
English earns a grade of 98, then my German deserves a 12, but what is
"an old Catholic family"? Does this mean that his parents had their
children late in life? (of course not) That the family has been
Catholic for many generations? Would I say that I come from an old
Jewish family? ( I am a descendant of Aaron on my father's line)

If one said "He is from an old Munich family" I would understand that
to mean that the family had been in Munich for several generations,
but "old Catholic family" just strikes me as a strange phrase.

Thanks to Jochen for the information. I wish he would post here more
often; I am very interested in the opera scene in Germany and Austria.

Paul
Pat
2010-04-23 14:10:17 UTC
Post by clem
Post by j***@yahoo.de
Post by stefano
[...]

Paul, one sees the phrase 'old Catholic family' quite a bit in
articles about prominent Catholics in England in the 16th and 17th
centuries, when there was great pressure, during several reigns, for
Catholics to abandon their faith in favor of the established church.
The Catesby family is a good example. Roberts Catesby, from an 'old
Catholic family,' was actively involved in hiding priests and other
recusants from the authorities -- certainly a noble action. But he
also became convinced that his beloved that Catholicism could not
survive in England under the harsh repression that then existed, and
became a leader of the Gunpowder Conspiracy, both assisting in the
planning and harboring fugitives afterward. Terrorist or freedom
fighter -- it's all in the point of view. Luckily for Catesby, he was
killed in a skirmish when the authorities came to arrest some of the
fugitives, and was spared the grisly execution that befell Fawkes and
some of the others. He remains one of the most controversial figures
in English history.

In that reformation context 'Old Catholic family' usually implies a
certain prominence, that the family was known for being Catholic, and
active, to some extent in affairs involving the church. I suspect
Jochen's usage is similar -- that the Kaufmann family has been
possessed of a certain social standing and involvement, not just
anonymous Catholic churchgoers.

Pat
swissmaster
2010-04-24 00:10:18 UTC
THE LAST 10 GENERATION OF THE FAMILY KAUFMANN WAS ALLWAYS BAVARIAN
CATHOLIC ORIGIN!
NOTHING JEWISH, NOT ISLAMIC, ONLY BAVARIAN CATHOLIC!
Post by Pat
Pat
stefano
2010-04-24 02:44:58 UTC
Post by swissmaster
THE LAST 10 GENERATION OF THE FAMILY KAUFMANN WAS ALLWAYS BAVARIAN
CATHOLIC ORIGIN!
NOTHING JEWISH, NOT ISLAMIC, ONLY BAVARIAN CATHOLIC!
Are you quite sure it was the last ten generations of the Family
Kaufmann, and not nine? Such precision strikes me as rather dubious,
even if it were actually coming from someone within the Kaufmann
clan. What, indeed, about the eleventh generation, that is, the one
before this authoritative source began counting? It seems the
operative imperative in this post is "NOTHING JEWISH, NOT ISLAMIC,ONLY
BAVARIAN CATHOLIC!" Pure Bavarian Catholic. I'm sure we are now so
assured that no further question need be asked.

Frank A.
clem
2010-04-24 03:33:25 UTC
Post by stefano
Post by swissmaster
THE LAST 10 GENERATION OF THE FAMILY KAUFMANN WAS ALLWAYS BAVARIAN
CATHOLIC ORIGIN!
NOTHING JEWISH, NOT ISLAMIC, ONLY BAVARIAN CATHOLIC!
Are you quite sure it was the last ten generations of the Family
Kaufmann, and not nine?  Such precision strikes me as rather dubious,
even if it were actually coming from someone within the Kaufmann
clan.  What, indeed, about the eleventh generation, that is, the one
before this authoritative source began counting?  It seems the
operative imperative in this post is "NOTHING JEWISH, NOT ISLAMIC,ONLY
BAVARIAN CATHOLIC!" Pure Bavarian Catholic.  I'm sure we are now so
assured that no further question need be asked.
Frank A.
10 generations would include more than 2000 ancestors!

We risk descending into silliness, but my original question about the
"old family" phrase was beautifully and aptly answered by Pat.
Thanks, Pat.

Paul
stefano
2010-04-24 12:45:17 UTC
Post by clem
Post by stefano
Post by swissmaster
[...]
With all due respect Paul, Pat's fine answer never dealt directly with
Germany or Bavaria, except by extrapolating from the English case.
Specialists in comparative history are very reticent in taking such
leaps. If one wants to talk about the Reformation, and relations
between Catholics and Protestants, one has to minimally bring into the
comparison the differential impact of the Thirty Years War, which not
only poisoned relations between Catholics and Protestants, but led to
the thorough destruction, spiritual and material, of Germany. After
having been one of Europe's leading modernizers, Germany sank into
backward status for centuries to come, until the beginning of the 19th
century. Without going into Henry VIII, the English Civil War, etc.,
the Reformation in England was far less consequential. In any event,
the last curious post from swissmaster, which obviously set me off,
made no reference whatsoever to Protestants, so I infer that he was
referring not to fellow Christians (or might I say aryans) but rather
to semites. That, Paul, is not at all silly, but indicative of
something far more sinister than humorous. I quote him again,
"NOTHING JEWISH, NOT ISLAMIC, ONLY BAVARIAN CATHOLIC!" For the
record, I had no intention of directing the post in that direction, as
should be clear from re-reading all that has been said. The thread on
Jonas Kaufmann's religous origin, Paul, did not begin with your narrow
question concerning the phrase "old family," something to which
swissmaster, it should be noted, made no reference whatsoever.

Frank A.

Frank A.

Frank A.
Pat
2010-04-24 15:15:22 UTC
Post by stefano
Paul
With all due respect Paul, Pat's fine answer never dealt directly with
Germany or Bavaria, except by extrapolating from the English case.
Specialists in comparative history are very reticent in taking such
leaps.  If one wants to talk about the Reformation, and relations
between Catholics and Protestants, one has to minimally bring into the
comparison the differential impact of the Thirty Years War, which not
only poisoned relations between Catholics and Protestants, but led to
the thorough destruction, spiritual and material, of Germany.
+++++++++++++++++++++
I'd be happy to discuss that fascinating subject, my friend, but I was
just trying to explain my understanding of "old Catholic family" as it
is often used in English and I suggested that I thought it likely that
Jochen's meaning was similar.
Post by stefano
After having been one of Europe's leading modernizers, Germany sank into
backward status for centuries to come, until the beginning of the 19th
century

I would not want to understate the ghastliness of the effect of the
Thirty Years War, during which war, death, famine, and pestilence rode
back and forth roughshod over a devastated Germany for a generation.
But I think the phrases "thorough destruction, spiritual and material"
and "backward status ... until the beginning of the 19th century"
overstate the case somewhat. Leibniz, one of the great polymaths in
all of history, was born during the war and eighteenth century
Germany was the century of Stamitz and Bach and Handel and Telemann in
music. The Akademie der Kunst opened around 1700, and the eighteenth
century was the century when Tiepolo painted the magnificent frescoes
in the Wurzburg Residenz, It was the century of Winkelmann, the great
art historian and archaeologist, and it was the century of Lessing
and (the young and middle-aged) Goethe and Schiller. In philosophy
there was Kant, and, on the political side there was that gifted
flautist and philosophile Frederick the Great -- (unless one views
Prussia as distinct from 'Germany,' which one could I suppose.) Apart
from the wars in eastern and central Europe which he largely provoked,
Frederick has to be credited with some of the finest architecture of
that period -- Sanssouci, the Staatsoper, and an assortment of
cathedrals, castles and palaces.

The second and third quarters of seventeenth century Germany, like mid
twentieth century Germany, was indeed a disaster zone. In both cases,
however, I think, the country was fairly resilient given the depth and
breadth of the destruction and rebounded within several decades.
Eighteenth century Germany remained a patchwork of principalities,
dukedoms, bishoprics, etc that wouldn't become fully united until the
time of Bismarck, but it was hardly a cultural wasteland.

Regards,

Pat
stefano
2010-04-24 15:44:58 UTC
Post by stefano
[...]
Regarding culture per se, of course, you are correct Pat. I didn't
mean to imply that Germany, after the Thirty Years War, had become a
cultural wasteland, thought it was materially and spiritually spent.
Unlike France and England, where the Enlightenment was an expression
of the prosperous, self-confident bourgeoisie, in Germany, however
grand in cultural accomplishment, the Enlightenment, understood as
Kultur, was an insular intellectual and cultural movement that bore no
such relation to society at large, due primarily to the absence of a
comparable bourgeoisie. Kant and Hegel, before Marx, spoke about the
relative backwardness of Germany, and some have argued that the
convoluted, baroque nature of German idealism was due to the fact that
Germans could only do in their heads what Englishmen and Frenchmen
could effect in reality. Despite the admittedly impressive reforms
Frederick the Great, Germany would remain a largely agricultural and
rural country where the vast majority of the population still lived on
the land and earned a living through farming. The explosive growth in
German industrialization and urbanization would not take place until
well into the 19th century, and this was so disruptive (as Dahrendorf
put it -- fast, complete and thorough) that it is no surprise that The
Social Question, as it was called, and sociology, as a discipline, was
borne there with the publication in 1887 of Ferdinand Tönnies'
Gemerinschaft und Geseslschaft. Some have argued that this abrupt
discontinuity in German life contributed eventually to the rise of
Nazism. My goodness, Pat, we have wandered a bit from Kaufmann, but I
appreciate your effort to work the very ground that concerned me at
the beginning of the post, placing Kaufmann's religious identity
within the context of larger historical and sociological questions.

Frank
Pat
2010-04-25 01:04:12 UTC
Post by stefano
Post by stefano
[...]
Yes, that's exactly right. Between the end of the Napoleonic Wars and
the annus mirabilis of 1848, Hamburg and Berlin grew tremendously;
such demomigration would have put great pressure on a united, well-
governed state, and in the second quintile of the nineteenth century,
Germany was neither.

Post by stefano
put it -- fast, complete and thorough) that it is no surprise that The
Social Question, as it was called, and sociology, as a discipline, was
borne there with the publication in 1887 of Ferdinand Tönnies'
Gemerinschaft und Geseslschaft.  Some have argued that this abrupt
discontinuity in German life contributed eventually to the rise of
Nazism.  My goodness, Pat, we have wandered a bit from Kaufmann, but I
appreciate your effort to work the very ground that concerned me at
the beginning of the post, placing Kaufmann's religious identity
within the context of larger historical and sociological questions.
Speaking of social movements I don't think it's at all well known in
this country that a few dozen years later Otto von Bismarck, not
exactly a bleeding-heart liberal, pushed through the first social
insurance legislation in the history of the world (admittedly it was
done partly in an effort to defuse the growing appeal of socialism).
Such was the beginning of the leftist government-takeover-of-just-
about-everything that we've been hearing so much about in recent
months. Bismarck also was a primary sponsor of the late 19th century
'Kulturkampf' {we are not the first to have culture wars} which so
disadvantaged German Catholics -- not unlike some of the measures
taken during Elizabethan and Jacobean England. So perhaps 'old
Catholic family' may have similar meanings in Britain and Germany,
albeit in a much later time fram.
Best,

Pat
TrailingEdgeTechnologies
2010-04-25 15:11:48 UTC
Post by stefano
Post by stefano
[...]
borne there with the publication in 1887 of Ferdinand T�nnies'
Gemerinschaft und Geseslschaft. �Some have argued that this abrupt
discontinuity in German life contributed eventually to the rise of
Nazism. �My goodness, Pat, we have wandered a bit from Kaufmann, but I
appreciate your effort to work the very ground that concerned me at
the beginning of the post, placing Kaufmann's religious identity
within the context of larger historical and sociological questions.
Try "Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft" (usually rendered in English as
"community" and "society") for title of T�nnies book.

Bruce B. Reynolds, Trailing Edge Technologies, Warminster PA
clem
2010-04-24 22:43:06 UTC
Post by stefano
Post by clem
Post by stefano
Post by swissmaster
[...]
I understood Swissmaster's remarks much as you did, but was trying to
prevent what I feared might become a very unpleasant string with
racist undertones. I appreciate the informative exchange between you
and Pat as well.

Paul
j***@yahoo.de
2010-04-25 09:57:20 UTC
Post by clem
Post by j***@yahoo.de
Post by stefano
To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...
He is from an old Catholic family.
but what is
"an old Catholic family"?  Does this mean that his parents had their
children late in life? (of course not) That the family has been
Catholic for many generations?
I am sorry that I started a controversy! I mean exactly as you say,
"the
family has been Catholic for many generations."

best regards,

Jochen
Wagnerfan
I'm sorry as well - of course thats what it meant. Wagner fan
clem
2010-04-25 13:49:59 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.de
Post by stefano
To return
to the original question, does anyone know if Jonas Kaufmann is of
Jewish origin...
He is from an old Catholic family.
 but what is
"an old Catholic family"?  Does this mean that his parents had their
children late in life? (of course not) That the family has been
Catholic for many generations?
I am sorry that I started a controversy!  I mean exactly as you say,
"the
family has been Catholic for many generations."
best regards,
Jochen
Apologies from me as well. No controversy intended, but it was
entirely my fault!

Paul
claudia4ever
no, he is not.
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Why should anyone CARE?????
Wagnerfan
I thought Frank tried to explain why he asked the question. Wagner fan
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2010-04-22 20:29:49 UTC
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
Why should anyone CARE?????
I thought Frank tried to explain why he asked the question. Wagner fan
My question remains! Does a singer's religious background have any
bearing whatever upon his/her ability as a singer? (Unless, like Jerome
Hines, he is an evangelical who makes it an issue?)
Wagnerfan
2010-04-22 20:35:23 UTC
On Apr 22, 4:29 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so.  Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background?  I imagine if he were, it would be known.  Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
Why should anyone CARE?????
I thought Frank tried to explain why he asked the question.  Wagner fan
My question remains!  Does a singer's religious background have any
bearing whatever upon his/her ability as a singer?  (Unless, like Jerome
Hines, he is an evangelical who makes it an issue?)
Your question was not Franks question. Did you read his explanation as
to why he asked???? Wagner fan
Steve Silverman
2013-02-15 16:44:53 UTC
Post by EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Why should anyone CARE?????
In my experience, these days it only really matters to other Jews. I can't be the only one to have grown up in a Jewish family whose evenings in front of the TV were heavily punctuated by excited exclamations of "He/she's Jewish you know!" whenever a coreligionist popped up on the screen. I had assumed that it was a generational thing; people of the same ethnicity taking pleasure in each other's existence in times of persecution. Yet I distinctly remember experiencing the same frisson a few years ago when I discovered that Simon Keenlyside was Jewish.

Steve Silverman
wkasimer
2013-02-18 04:27:41 UTC
I can't be  the only one to have grown up in a Jewish family whose evenings in front of the TV were heavily punctuated by excited exclamations of "He/she's Jewish you know!"
whenever a coreligionist popped up on the screen.
I had assumed that it was a generational thing; people of the same ethnicity taking pleasure in each other's existence in times of persecution. Yet I distinctly remember >experiencing the same frisson a few years ago when I discovered that Simon Keenlyside was Jewish.
Keenlyside is Jewish? I had no idea....

But we do it in America still, particularly with professional athletes
(in part because there aren't very many Jews in professional sports).
It was something of an event a few years back when the Red Sox had
three Jewish players on the field at the same time (Youkilis, Kapler,
and Stern), and last season when a Jewish pitcher (Craig Breslow)
pitched to a Jewish catchter (Ryan Lavarnway). Both are also Yale
graduates, which are even rarer than Jews in major league baseball.

Bill
Steve Silverman
2013-02-19 08:40:59 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Keenlyside is Jewish? I had no idea....
Yes, I was rather startled by that fact too when I discovered it.

http://parsifal79.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/mazel-tov-simon-speaks-to-jewish.html

Steve Silverman
Ricky Jimenez
2013-02-19 23:56:02 UTC
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 00:40:59 -0800 (PST), Steve Silverman
Post by Steve Silverman
Post by wkasimer
Keenlyside is Jewish? I had no idea....
Yes, I was rather startled by that fact too when I discovered it.
http://parsifal79.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/mazel-tov-simon-speaks-to-jewish.html
Steve Silverman
I suspected it a while ago from an X rated moment at the end of his
Don Giovanni DVD.
j***@live.com
2013-03-02 09:25:06 UTC
Post by Ricky Jimenez
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 00:40:59 -0800 (PST), Steve Silverman
I don't normally think of Jews as a religious group. Almost half of American Jews are non religious and I suspect it might be higher in Germany. I think of it more in ethnic or cultural terms. I've known many Jews and only one went to synagogue. They do share a very distinctive history which they should be proud. If I were to ask if a singer were Jewish it would be in my mind's eye like asking if a Slavic sounding surname were Polish, Czech or Slovakian, each of which has a very distinctive culture. Some Jews if asked their origin just say European and I find that sad that they have to be circumspect about their ethnic history in this day and age, but I can understand why they do. Peace to all:)
Don Giovanni DVD.
Lasse
did not know he played the fiddle
premiereopera@aol.com
2010-04-27 13:31:52 UTC
Post by Lasse
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so.  Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background?  I imagine if he were, it would be known.  Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
did not know he played the fiddle
If he plays the fiddle, that might make him another Jan Peerce! There
is definitely a facial similarity!

Best,
Ed
e***@spinfinder.com
Yes, sure he is Jewish. He loves Wagner and he's Jewish, ha. Wagner was Hitler's inspiration, Wagner was a devout Jew hater and supported the killing of Jews. Wagner even went as far as writing an essay proposing the extermination of the Jews in Europe. Of course Jonas Kaufmann is not Jewish, use your brains people.
wkasimer
2013-02-13 21:58:21 UTC
Yes, sure he is Jewish. He loves Wagner and he's Jewish, ha. Wagner was Hitler's inspiration, Wagner was a devout Jew hater and supported the killing of Jews. Wagner even went >as far as writing an essay proposing the extermination of the Jews in Europe. Of course Jonas Kaufmann is not Jewish, use your brains people.
Ever heard of Friedrich Schorr? James Levine?

Bill
i***@gmail.com
2013-02-13 22:47:20 UTC
No he's not Jewish (he comes from an old Catholic family)and no Wagner never said that all the Jews in Europe should be exterminated (this falsehood comes up with predictable regularity) Wagner fan
m***@cox.net
Personally, I believe he's jewish because Jews are generally smarter than Gentiles; also he's got a jewish nose.
c***@gmail.com
2018-08-05 05:18:18 UTC
bonjour son prenom Jonas en hebreu Yoni est biblique, a part cela son nom de famille est egalement a consonnance juive mais ceci dit avec les guerres et toutes les conversions il n'ait que son nom de juif faut chercher plus loin chez ses ancetres bonne journee Jocelyne C. d'Israel
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2013-02-14 18:38:26 UTC
Why should anyone care??????? How could his religious affiliation
affect his quality as a singer? Anyway, with a few notable exceptions
(like Jerome Hines) most opera singers are probably agnostic. (Along
with most intellectuals, when confronted with the "religious right".)
19th century, maybe not.
Terry
2013-02-15 14:20:53 UTC
Post by e***@spinfinder.com
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
Yes, sure he is Jewish. He loves Wagner and he's Jewish, ha. Wagner was
Hitler's inspiration, Wagner was a devout Jew hater and supported the killing
of Jews. Wagner even went as far as writing an essay proposing the
extermination of the Jews in Europe. Of course Jonas Kaufmann is not Jewish,
use your brains people.
Make up your mind, Elvis.
--
Cheers!

Terry
i***@gmail.com
j***@gmail.com
2013-05-13 03:32:56 UTC
Isn't Jonas a typical Jewish first name ?
wagnerfan
2013-05-13 10:17:59 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Isn't Jonas a typical Jewish first name ?
This has already been discussed - if you really have such a puzzling
interest in the subject you can check the archives Wagner fan
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
2013-05-13 18:02:45 UTC
So??? (What has that to do with anything pertinent?)
2013-05-19 22:21:08 UTC
As far as I can see, nothing about this entire thread is pertinent.
wkasimer
2013-05-13 20:53:16 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Isn't Jonas a typical Jewish first name ?
Not really. Jonah is a lot more common among Jews, as it's biblical
in origin.

Bill
t***@gmail.com
2015-09-12 19:30:05 UTC
Lithuanian
CHSIII
2015-09-12 23:26:42 UTC
Kaufmann is German, born and raised in Munich.

wrote in message news:9eb97862-d2d9-4976-af21-***@googlegroups.com...

Lithuanian

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---
i***@gmail.com
2013-05-21 13:35:05 UTC
If you read Jonas Kaufmann's biography, "Meinen Die Wirklich Mich?" he explains that his family is from the former East Germany. Both his parents fled from there after World War II and met and married in Munich.

They are Protestant, not Catholic. In fact, Kaufmann says in his biography it was sometimes a disadvantage to be Protestant in a heavily Catholic city/State like Munich/Bavaria.

So: Not Jewish, Not Catholic, Not long-time residents of Munich.

From the source.

Ivis Bohlen
t***@gmail.com
2015-09-12 19:29:41 UTC
His name Jonas is very often name. In Lithuania. I was Sure He has lithuanian origin...
w***@gmail.com
2015-10-11 02:00:47 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
If you read Jonas Kaufmann's biography, "Meinen Die Wirklich Mich?" he explains that his family is from the former East Germany. Both his parents fled from there after World War II and met and married in Munich.
They are Protestant, not Catholic. In fact, Kaufmann says in his biography it was sometimes a disadvantage to be Protestant in a heavily Catholic city/State like Munich/Bavaria.
So: Not Jewish, Not Catholic, Not long-time residents of Munich.
From the source.
Ivis Bohlen
Kaufmann says he's not religious.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2002/nov/28/classicalmusicandopera.artsfeatures
a***@gmail.com
2017-01-03 08:45:34 UTC
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
I was just watching a recent interview in German (Dec 2016) of Jonas Kaufmann. He is being asked if he has any Italian roots as he has a great love for Italy. If my translation of the language is correct - Kaufmann answers - No, no recent Italian roots, but he surmises that much further back, in the 13th or 14th century, his ancestors may have been Jewish Italian craftsmen, perhaps, who emigrated to Germany. My ears perked up at the mention of "Juden" and I googled, "Is Jonas Kaufmann Jewish?" because I am Jewish and love Kaufmann, and suddenly became very curious! That's when I found this discussion. I was not able to read it in entirety, but found it fascinating, and wanted to add this to it. Thank you for the information that he is not Jewish. Though I find it interesting he suspects perhaps Jewish Italian roots very far back. Here is the interview - fast forward to the 5 minute mark. Und wenn Sie Deutsch viel besser als mich sprechen, und Sie mein Verstaendnis nicht total richtig finden, berichtigen Sie mich bitte sofort! Vielen Dank.

g***@gmail.com
2017-02-25 20:13:49 UTC
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
It is simple. Who is his mother's mother's mother?
If she is a Jewess, Jonas Kaufmann is a Jew,
if she is not, neither is he.
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-15 22:38:59 UTC
So viel quatsch wird hier gesprochen. Er ist einfach hubsch und sieht mir aus als ob er mehr italienisch ist.
Bestimmt traegt er mediterranisches blut.
Hoping this finds you all as it leaves me. Tony
b***@yahoo.com
Who cares if he is Jewish or not? I care that he is the greatest tenor, period
d***@gmail.com
2017-12-25 10:11:22 UTC
Post by stefano
Kaufmann is one of those German names which is frequently Jewish, but
not necessarily so. Does anyone know Jonas Kaufman's religious
background? I imagine if he were, it would be known. Then again,
given the history of Jewish assimilation in Germany going back to the
19th century, maybe not.
Frank A.
I think people are curious why he looks very Mediterranean, even though Germans can be dark complected. And no it does not affect his formidable singing, but people want to know more about him because they are nosy. :)