Ethel Smyth "The Wreckers" revived
a***@aol.com
2007-05-06 10:15:20 UTC
Dame Ethel Smyth's opera The Wreckers is to be performed at the State
Theatre Giessen on May 20 in what is billed as a new production. The
conductor is Carlos Spierer and there are two further performances
planned for June.

My guess is that this is the first fully professional opera house
performance of The Wreckers for many, many years. Cornwall opera
staged an acclaimed performance last year with a mix of professional,
semi-pro and students and with a very reduced orchestra.

Details of that and a synopsis can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/ynrbak

Mr Spierer and the house obviously like investigating less usual works
as the 2006-7 season also included two works by Peter Maxwell-Davies
and performances of Il Giuramento by Mercadante.

The Wreckers was written between 1902-4 and is the strongest of her
operas in my opinion. I have never heard a performance although I
have read the score. Orchestrally she is obviously influenced by
Wagner, although not slavishly so, and much less so in the vocal
writing. The strongest Acts are the last two (again an opinion based
on reading it on the page, which is not always the same as hearing
it).

The first two performances were conducted by Thomas Beecham and Bruno
Walter. Beecham promised Dame Ethel between the Wars that he would
revive it but reneged on that for whatever reason and had to endure
the wrath of the formidable Dame Ethel, shutting himself in a cupboard
on one occasion while leaving his Secretary to deal with her arrival.

The powerful Overture has had occasional outings and was in the
repertoire of the late Sir Alexander Gibson who recorded it.

Dame Ethel died in 1944, her last years plagued by deafness. There
are arguments that The Wreckers is her greatest achievement although
some would place her Mass in D Major ahead of it. In either case, she
was certainly an accomplished writer for vocal forces. Sir Adrian
Boult revived the Mass in a BBC broadcast performance and later
regretted not performing more of her music although he did record some
short pieces in the 78 era.

I organised the first broadcast performance of her Concerto for
Violin, Horn and Orchestra which makes considerable demands on both
soloists and which was given by the Philomusica of London. We
attempted to get it recorded but no company was interested. It has
subsequently been recorded much more recently for the Chandos label if
any are interested in exploring it.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins
d***@hotmail.com
2007-06-23 08:26:06 UTC
Post by a***@aol.com
Dame Ethel Smyth's opera The Wreckers is to be performed at the State
Theatre Giessen on May 20 in what is billed as a new production.
Well, it's the *Town* Theatre Giessen (Stadttheater) as opposed to the
(imaginary) Staatstheater (State Theatre) Giessen :)
Post by a***@aol.com
The
conductor is Carlos Spierer and there are two further performances
planned for June.
And I went to the one on Thursday the 21st June. That's why I have
checked out rec.music.opera to see if this opera was performed
elsewhere, too - and what people think. To my surprise I found this
post talking about "my" performance - I wonder how you've learned
about it?

I'm not a frequent opera goer so I can't comment much on the quality
of the music or of the staging in Giessen. Personally I liked the
music and found the choral scenes musically very impressive - and here
the staging has also produced some impressive pictures. The
performance of the main characters was very good, too, I thought - but
here the staging was a bit strange to my liking. It seems that
inspired by the beach location the choreographer thought it very
appropriate that the singers sit or lie on the floor - I can't imagine
that this has helped their singing (but I found their performance -
given that it's a town theatre enseble) very good.
Post by a***@aol.com
My guess is that this is the first fully professional opera house
performance of The Wreckers for many, many years.
In Germany the last one was in 1993 in Hagen.

[...]
Post by a***@aol.com
The first two performances were conducted by Thomas Beecham and Bruno
Walter.
You mean those in the UK? The premiere in Leipzig was conducted by Leo
Blech according to the program notes which are based on Manfred
Saremba's book "Elgar, Britten & Co".

In any case thank you for your very informative post!

Best regards,

Daria
Giessen, Germany
a***@aol.com
2007-06-24 20:11:50 UTC
Post by a***@aol.com
The first two performances were conducted by Thomas Beecham and Bruno
Walter.
You mean those in the UK? The premiere in Leipzig was conducted by Leo
Blech according to the program notes which are based on Manfred
Saremba's book "Elgar, Britten & Co".
In any case thank you for your very informative post!
Best regards,
Daria
Giessen, Germany
I learned about the performance through a friend in Germany who knows
of my interest in Ethel Smyth's music. I am very glad to hear that
you enjoyed the performance. In the UK performance they had the
singers sitting on rocks rather than lying on the beach which may have
been better for them! Her choral writing is always very fine - she
wrote a wonderful Mass which proves that.

The premiere in Germany was a disaster because the conductor (Richard
Hagel as I understand not Leo Blech) made massive cuts to the final
Act which outraged the composer although she sneaked in to the first
performance (in the audience) and was apparently gratified to hear
that they liked what she had written.

There was a second performance due a few days later but it never
happened because an extremely angry Dame Ethel went into the orchestra
pit and removed all the parts in protest against the cuts! She then
travelled to Prague where subsequent performances were due but these
were a disaster, too, as they were grossly under rehearsed.
Additionally there was a substitute conductor due to the original
musician being struck down by illness.

The first two almost complete performances were two in Britain at
Covent Garden in 1910 - the first conducted by Beecham, the second by
Bruno Walter.

I was glad to hear about the 1993 performance of which I did not know.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins
Daria Wieczorek
2007-06-24 20:41:25 UTC
Post by a***@aol.com
Post by d***@hotmail.com
Personally I liked the
music and found the choral scenes musically very impressive - and here
the staging has also produced some impressive pictures. The
performance of the main characters was very good, too, I thought - but
here the staging was a bit strange to my liking. It seems that
inspired by the beach location the choreographer thought it very
appropriate that the singers sit or lie on the floor - I can't imagine
that this has helped their singing
I learned about the performance through a friend in Germany who knows
of my interest in Ethel Smyth's music. I am very glad to hear that
you enjoyed the performance. In the UK performance they had the
singers sitting on rocks rather than lying on the beach which may have
been better for them!
Here are some (small) pictures from the Giessen performance:
http://www.stadttheater-giessen.de/index.php?id=1446
- unfortunately the high resolution pictures are only available to journalists
for a download.
Post by a***@aol.com
Her choral writing is always very fine - she
wrote a wonderful Mass which proves that.
I wonder if I'll ever have the opportunity to hear it!
Post by a***@aol.com
The premiere in Germany was a disaster because the conductor (Richard
Hagel as I understand not Leo Blech) made massive cuts to the final
Act which outraged the composer although she sneaked in to the first
performance (in the audience) and was apparently gratified to hear
that they liked what she had written.
There was a second performance due a few days later but it never
happened because an extremely angry Dame Ethel went into the orchestra
pit and removed all the parts in protest against the cuts!
Yes, we have heard about that in the pre-opera talk - this, too, was based on
the before mentioned book "Elgar, Britten & Co" which has a 20 pages chapter
on Ethel Smyth.

Daria
a***@aol.com
2007-06-24 21:56:47 UTC
Post by a***@aol.com
The premiere in Germany was a disaster because the conductor (Richard
Hagel as I understand not Leo Blech) made massive cuts to the final
Act which outraged the composer although she sneaked in to the first
performance (in the audience) and was apparently gratified to hear
that they liked what she had written.
There was a second performance due a few days later but it never
happened because an extremely angry Dame Ethel went into the orchestra
pit and removed all the parts in protest against the cuts!
Yes, we have heard about that in the pre-opera talk - this, too, was based on
the before mentioned book "Elgar, Britten & Co" which has a 20 pages chapter
on Ethel Smyth.
Daria
The Mass has been recorded - see link. It might be cheaper elsewhere
or second hand. It's a wonderful work - some think it her masterpiece.

http://www.vocalessence.org/recordings/smyth

The Wreckers has also been recorded but may be currently out of print:

The Wreckers:.
Conifer Records 75605-51250-2, p1994.
PERFORMER(S): Judith Howarth, soprano; Annemarie Sand, Anne-Marie
Owens, mezzo-sopranos; Anthony Roden, Justin Lavender, tenors; Peter
Sidhom, David Wilson-Johnson, baritones; Brian Bannatyne-Scott, bass ;
Huddersfield Choral Society; BBC Philharmonic; Odaline de la Martinez,
conductor.

It was terribly difficult for women at the time she wrote it. I
believe it has improved somewhat but probably not nearly as much as it
should have done but that's just a personal opinion.

There is a woman today (probably among many I do not know) who writes
fantastic music of great quality: Sylvie Bodorova whose Oratorio Juda
Maccabeus is simply an out and out masterpiece if any believe that a
masterpiece Oratorio can be written in 2001-2. No, thought not!

Coming soon to a hall near you? I hope so but I doubt it.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins
Daria Wieczorek
2007-06-25 04:45:21 UTC
***@aol.com wrote:
[...]
Post by a***@aol.com
The Wreckers:.
Conifer Records 75605-51250-2, p1994.
[...]

It was reissued by ArkivCD:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Namedrill?album_group=8&name_id=58399&name_role=3

"This CD is a reissue of an out-of-print or otherwise generally unavailable
recording. It is produced by ArkivMusic and fully authorized by the original
record label. The music on the disc is exactly the same as the original. The
cover art, spine, and back cover are faithfully reproduced though slightly
modified. Liner notes are not included. ArkivCDs are made from high-quality
CD-R media that will play in most modern CD players."

Daria
gggg gggg
2022-07-28 18:56:26 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220720-ethel-smyththe-rebel-composer-erased-from-history