what seats to chose at NY MET opera
GL
2004-01-10 04:58:37 UTC
Hi, I am a newbie to NY MET opera---i would like to purchase a ticket
to an opera but am confused about what seat section i should buy.
Which seats are ideal but not put a hole in my wallet? thanks in
advance, ming/
MCWCilento
2004-01-10 15:20:05 UTC
Post by GL
Which seats are ideal but not put a hole in my wallet?
I think the Balcony, especially center Balcony, gives great value for the
price. Usually about $60 these days. GREAT sound. You need binoculars/opera
glasses if you like to see facial expressions, close ups.

If price is really important, I think the Family Circle is the best option.
$25-35. Really terrific, immediate sound. BUT you are way up. If you don't
want to see mostly the tops of singers' heads & need binocs/opera glasses for
detail, then stay away from the FC. Or, if you tend to vertigo.

I've enjoyed the Center Orchestra section, and the Grand Tier, Dress Circle and
even the Side Parterre Boxes. All, more expensive options. IF, however, I'm
in the Grand Tier or Dress Circle, I only want to be in the first three rows.
If I'm in a Side Parterre Box, I ONLY (!!!) want to be in the FIRST row. I'm
fairly short and a bobber or someone with big hair between me & the stage in
that box will ruin the evening. Boxes really close to the stage may mean you
don't see a bit of the stage. Depending on the production, that may or may not
make much difference.

I would avoid the Rear Orchestra under the overhang. And, the back portions of
the GrandTier & Dress Circle. I think the WORST value for money is the Side
Orchestra.

Very subjective on my part, but that's generally how I view the MET seating,
for what it is worth!
Michael Hetsko
2004-01-10 16:14:30 UTC
Post by MCWCilento
fairly short and a bobber or someone with big hair between me & the stage in
that box will ruin the evening. Boxes really close to the stage may mean you
don't see a bit of the stage. Depending on the production, that may or may not
make much difference.
I would avoid the Rear Orchestra under the overhang. And, the back portions of
the GrandTier & Dress Circle. I think the WORST value for money is the Side
Orchestra.
Very subjective on my part, but that's generally how I view the MET seating,
for what it is worth!
I have sat in just about all areas of the Met, and agree with your report.
Balacony, best overall value.
FAmily Circle - a bit far for my tastes, but you do hear well.

Avoid overhangs. In my opinion, the rear orchestra is worse than the rear
Dress Circle as the sound is notably truncated; Dress Circle is best in the
first 3 rows.
REG
2004-01-10 17:10:59 UTC
If you want to so something a little nicer than front balcony, you can
usually get the sides of the grand tier or dress circle for as little as $90
a seat; these are much closer than the balcony, don't have the overhang
problem in my opinion, and you only have to be aware of one issue. You
should get the front row, not the second row (since some vision will be
obscured unless you stand near your seat), and you shouldn't in any case get
the box that's closest to the stage, since you will not be able to see the
whole stage.
for what it is worth!
Leonard Tillman
2004-01-10 18:13:30 UTC
Certainly good advice thus far, - but I'll add that it's best to avoid
getting the "partial view" side seats, as they tend to be the
least-satisfactory visually (and to an extent, aurally), however close
they are to the action, -- as compared with seats that are more
centrally located in rows two or three times the distance from the
stage.

Of all the more moderate-to-low priced seating, the Family Circle
offers the possibly best value, giving excellent sound reception,
- if you bring with you a decent pair of Opera-glasses/binoculars to
compensate
for the greater distance to the stage.

- The latter area's seating is one of NYC's few remaining "bargains"
in this era of perpetually skyrocketing prices for virtually every
commodity.

Leonard Tillman
"Punctuality is the virtue of the bored."
-- Evelyn Waugh
Lis Froding
2004-01-11 01:36:44 UTC
Post by MCWCilento
I would avoid the Rear Orchestra under the overhang. And, the back portions of
the GrandTier & Dress Circle. I think the WORST value for money is the Side
Orchestra.
Agree that the sound can be 'off' under Side Orchestra; there's often almost
an echo. But ---- there's a silver lining ---- if it's not a heavily sold
out
performance, it's pretty easy to slide from Side Orchestra into better
seats.
So from that point of view, it's a pretty good value.

Lis
a***@comcast.net
2004-01-11 03:15:52 UTC
I prefer the AEO [Anti-Ellsworth Option.]
The empty seat.
But you knew that.
Pepin le Jumper
Lis
AnMeinKlav
2004-01-11 04:56:05 UTC
<<if it's not a heavily sold
out
performance, it's pretty easy to slide from Side Orchestra into better
seats.>>

Apparently you missed the extended discussion here a few weeks ago on the
morality of that very act. It gave the phrase "tempest in a teapot" new meaning
;-).
Lis Froding
2004-01-11 21:15:18 UTC
<<if it's not a heavily sold out
performance, it's pretty easy to slide from Side Orchestra into better
seats.>>
Apparently you missed the extended discussion here a few weeks ago on the
morality of that very act. It gave the phrase "tempest in a teapot" new meaning
;-).
I skipped thru most of them. Should I be sorry? LOL

Lis
AnMeinKlav
2004-01-11 22:36:33 UTC
<<I skipped thru most of them. Should I be sorry? LOL>>

On the contrary, you were most wise to have skipped them :-).
WESTLIT
2004-01-11 18:10:05 UTC
From: "Lis Froding" ***@comcast.net:

Counter-jumping, upstart cheapskate.
Lis Froding
2004-01-11 21:16:59 UTC
Post by WESTLIT
<< it's pretty easy to slide from Side Orchestra into better
seats. >>
Counter-jumping, upstart cheapskate.
No, no, I said slide, not jump, and not counting. Besides,
even side orchestra isn't exactly cheap.

But you knew that, didn't you? Or did you?

Lis
Michael Hetsko
Lis
Lis Froding
2004-01-12 02:13:51 UTC
Post by Michael Hetsko
Hey, Lis, I'll race you for F 110!
That one may be a little difficult to race to politely ;-)))

Lis
REG
2004-01-12 00:41:39 UTC
Welcome back.
GL
2004-01-13 00:39:15 UTC
So i called today and sprang 100 dollars for dress circle ---4th row---a compromise/
Cub Driver
2004-01-13 10:57:12 UTC
Post by GL
So i called today and sprang 100 dollars for dress circle ---4th row---a compromise/
Dress Circle seats are wonderful. No need to call them a compromise!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: ***@operamail.com

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com